Chapter 16

"Good morning sleepyhead."

I opened my eyes and the light from outside my window was the first thing I noticed. I turned around and Roman was standing at the side of my bed.

I rolled my eyes and went back to sleep. I heard a sigh from him then felt my bed move when he lied beside me. I was facing the wall so I couldn't see him. Then I felt his arms around my waist as he scooched himself closer to me.

"I made breakfast," his husky voice rang softly in my ears.

"I want to sleep some more."

"It's pancakes," he countered.

Upon hearing it, I instantly got up and scratched my eyes. "I'm starving," I said. I heard a laugh from Roman then he stood up and went for the door. "I'll wait for you, sweetheart," he smiled then gently closed the door.

It was a good thing that he got out. As soon as I heard him say sweetheart, I felt a swarm of butterflies in my tummy and my cheeks felt hot.

I combed my hair for a bit then I got out of the room.

As soon as I got out, the smell of something sweet and warm welcomed my nose. I smiled. My feet made their way to the kitchen. I saw Roman flipping the last pancake before finally putting it on my plate.

"If this tastes bad, I take back what I said last night," I teased him. He only chuckled. "Be my guest," he replied.

I took one bite from my pancake. The texture was adequate, but it was a bit sweeter to my liking. Still, I devoured the whole piece in a matter of seconds. My heart felt full.

"Not bad, but it's sweeter compared to what my mom used to make."

Roman heaved a sigh of relief. "I'm glad you like it. Coffee?" he had just finished making me a cup. I gleefully accepted it from him and I took a sip. Just the right sweetness.

"Did I ever tell you that I was advised by my doctor not to drink coffee?" I started. Roman's face turned pale. He was about to take the cup from my hands but I refused. I distanced the cup away from him.

"Aster, you can't die!" Roman was hysterical. I laughed hard. "Chill! I seldom make myself coffee so a cup wouldn't hurt. Now please, calm down."

"But you said that you can't drink coffee!"

I giggled. Roman went to me. "Are you sure you're okay? You're not feeling that something is blocking your airways?" his eyes were full of nervousness. I held out my hand to reach for his face. Upon the contact, Roman's ears turned red.

"I'm fine, Godfrey."

The expression in his face changed in an instant. "So you're back to last name basis?" there was a hint of dismay in his voice.

I smiled widely at him. "Why? There's nothing wrong with it. I like your surname," I reasoned out to him.

"Don't you like my first name better?"

I didn't answer him. I leaned in and gave him a peck instead. Shock became evident in his face. He chuckled and looked down, trying to contain his smile.

"My god, Aster. It's early in the morning," Roman then proceeded to kiss me. I was sitting on the kitchen stool while he remained standing, but because the kitchen stool was tall, he didn't have to lean down his head to reach my lips.

I closed my eyes as soon as I felt the contact. He caged me around his arms while I was still sitting there.

Roman broke the kiss. "Let's just finish breakfast before we do all this, okay?"  I nodded at him and took a sip from my coffee. "Aster, not the coffee."