Chapter 2

Scarlett's POV

I looked out the window as the world flashed past me. Another move and this time to the murder capital of the world. I guess that is the perk of having a famous murder detective as a father.

We move a lot, and I mean a LOT. Once my father solves the case, it is on to the next. Which means another move.

Santa Carla. A place my father has always talked about and how it has the highest murder rates in the country. He has always wanted to go to Santa Carla to solve the mysterious murders that happen there, but he had to prove himself. He had to show that he was capable of taking on such a big/ unsolvable case.

After my mom died he dedicated everything he had into being a detective. I mean he wasn't a bad father or anything. It was just hard after losing my mom he wasn't around as much but one thing I have learned over many years is that the car rides to the new places is where we are able to reconnect.

"So are you excited about Santa Carla, Scar?" My dad asked me.

"I guess. I mean who wouldn't be excited to move to the murder capital of the world," I told my dad as I turned away from the window to look at him.

"Well when you put it like that it doesn't sound like a fun place, but it is a big tourist attraction with its famous boardwalk and everything," he said.

"Exactly which means a lot of drug heads and crazy people," I said.

"Where are you getting drug heads and crazy people from," he asked.

"Dad the place is known to be a great place to hang out and take a step back from the world. A place to have fun. Do you really believe that there is not any crazy people or drug heads there? I mean it is the murder capital of the world so either everyone is on drugs or everyone's crazy if they chose to stay there," I said.

My father laughed before taking his eyes off the road to look at me for a second before turning back to the road and saying, "what does that make us then?"

I looked back out the window watching the world fly pass me before answering him, "Insane."

Hours later I finally see the sign that says " Welcome to Santa Carla

Hours later I finally see the sign that says " Welcome to Santa Carla." I wasn't surprised when we drove past it, on the back it said "murder capital of the world."

"Happy to be here," I mumbled.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing dad."

My father let out a deep breath, "Scar I know you aren't happy to move again, but this time will be different. I promise."

We soon passed a driveway that lead to a house that seemed to be falling in on itself. I mean there was a huge hole in the side of the house. It looked like someone had drove their car through it! I was so curious about the house that I knew I would be back to explore what happened.

Not long after passing the broken house we pulled up to a small house. "Welcome to your new home," my dad said.

We pulled up to a decent looking house. Nothing too fancy but livable. I got out of the car grabbing my backpack. I looked at the house then I turned and looked out at the ocean. It was a beautiful view and I could even see the boardwalk.

"Ah, I see you have spotted the famous boardwalk," my dad said as he walked up to me and stood beside me looking out at the ocean.

"I figured it would be the place that you would be while we're here, but I want you to be careful. This is the murder capital of the world and I don't wanna be solving my own daughter's murder case on top of all the other murder cases."

"Don't worry dad you've taught me how to protect myself, and I always carry that pocket knife you gave me."

"That is my girl. Now let's get the car unloaded."

**Time Skip**

My father and I had finally finished getting everything set up. Nightfall had hit and I wanted more than anything to get out of the house. I looked out my window which faced the ocean and I could see the boardwalk lit up brightly.

"Dad can I go to the boardwalk?" I asked as I walked into his office where he was trying to spread out all the files of missing people.

There were so many files on his desk and it was already covered with files beforehand. It was only the first stack. There were four more stacks sitting behind him on the floor. To be honest I bet this isn't even half of all the people that have went missing in Santa Carla. These files are the only of the people that have been reported missing.

Santa Carla is also known as the runaway place. People from all over the world would run away from home and somehow end up here. This place is where people come to get away and where they come to die it seems.

"Yes but do you have your knife?" He asked as he looked up from the files.

"Yes and I have my pepper spray," I said before he could ask.

"And you remember what to do when someone tries to attack you?"

"Yes dad I do."

"Okay you can go but be back no later than midnight. I don't want to add your file to this stack of missing people." I walked over to my dad as I looked down at the missing people files that are spread across his desk. There were so many and the people were all different ages. It was hard looking at all the missing faces.

"Dad you will never lose me. You taught me how to protect myself." I kissed him of the top of his head before walking out of his office. " I will be back later," I yelled over shoulder as I walked out the front door.

Heading straight to the boardwalk.

_______________________________

Don't forget to Vote!

Also, comment below what y'all think! I love reading what y'all think, it really inspires me!

Don't forget to follow me and check out my other stories, The Lost Family and Hunted :)

Until next time keep reading and bleeding

- QOB🩸

________________________________