Niall's Last Days (1)

Harry, Louis and Liam were chatting in their dressing room at the Jonathan Ross studio while they were waiting for Niall. He had been getting increasing knee pain over the last few concerts, and the boys had encouraged him to see a GP about it.

The door then opened and Niall came in on crutches.
"Why would you put peanut butter on toast?" Louis asked Liam before they all looked over at Niall.
"Hey Niall," Harry greeted him. "You've been gone for hours, is everything ok?"
"It's complicated," Niall replied before he used the crutches to support his weight as he walked painfully towards the boys.
"What do you mean?"
"Do you need a hand?" Harry asked as both he and Liam stood up.
"Yeah."
"We've got you Niall," Liam said as he and Harry came over.
"You're shaking," Harry said as he supported Niall.
"Yeah."
"Take a seat Niall."
"You look like you're in pain."
"I am," Niall said as he looked as he slowly sat down and the boys helped him.
"That's it. Careful Niall," Louis said as he held one of Niall's arms.
"Argh," Niall groaned as he sat down.
"It's not just your knee is it?" Liam asked and Niall shook his head.
"No," Niall replied and Harry and Louis sat on either side of him as Liam knelt in-front and took his hand in his own.
"What's wrong? What did the GP say?"
"He got very worried. Really quickly," Niall replied before his voice shook. "He sent me to the hospital," Niall said before tears formed in his eyes.
"It's ok Niall. Take your time," Liam told him. This was serious and Niall was starting to scare the boys.
"They did some tests and..."
"What did they find Niall?" Harry asked and all the boys increased their grip on Niall. Harry was praying that the answer wasn't cancer.
"Toxins," Niall said as tears began to run down his face.
"Toxins?" Louis repeated.
"From my bones... my body's poisoning itself," Niall said as he tried to hold himself together, and the boys went quiet.
"Can they...?" Harry began.
"No," Niall replied as he looked at Harry and tears ran down his face. "There's nothing they can do," Niall said before he gasped. Liam went deathly white and Harry just stared at Niall.
"How long?" Louis asked him softly.
"A week," Niall said as tears kept falling down his face, and the boys hugged him.

Fifteen minutes later, Liam had given Niall some painkillers and Jonathan Ross had arrived for the show, he was going to set up for half an hour or so, then come and see the boys before the show began.
"How are you doing Niall?" Liam asked him gently as Louis and Harry were both cuddling him on either side.
"There's... less pain."
"Good," Liam said before he wiped his own tears away.
"Does your family know?"
"Yeah. They um... they called them while I was at the hospital and they're on their way over."
"Good. You're gonna need her around."
"Yeah," Niall said and Louis kissed him.
"Does Paul know?"
"Yeah... he does. I'm scared boys."
"We know, we're scared too Niall. We don't want to lose you," Harry told him and a tear fell down his face.
"Are your family coming to take you home Niall?" Liam asked as he gently wiped Niall's tear away.
"No," Niall told them as fear grew within him. "No. I want to perform. I need to perform before I go. I love this life and I don't want it to end," Niall said all the boys put their hands on Niall to comfort him as he began crying once more.
"Oh Niall, it's ok."
"Are you going to be up to performing Ni?"
"I don't know... but I want to for as long as I can."
"Come here," Harry said and Niall buried his head against Harry's shoulder.

"Have you signed a DNR Niall?" Liam asked after a moment, as gently as he could.
"Really Liam? Now?" Louis growled.
"Hmn," Niall replied as he nodded a little.
"Is that a yes Ni?" Harry asked and Niall sat up.
"Yeah. I... I don't want it to be drawn out."
"If that's what you want Niall, we support you," Louis comforted him.
"Thanks, Lou."
"So you want to come on tour with us?"
"Yes, please," Niall said as he held Harry tighter. "I need to carry on as normal. I need our music," Niall said as tears crept into his eyes and Louis wiped them away.
"That's fine Niall. We start our world tour on Monday and we can let you take the lead," Louis said and Niall smiled.
"Thanks."
"Are you going to get sick?" Liam asked and they all knew what he meant.
"A little. They said that, it will be like getting drunk. I will act strange at times... and feel a bit funny but it'll be fine until I. I um... I hit the stage."
"Ok. Well that's good."
"Me, hitting the stage?" Niall asked Harry as his voice shook.
"No. That you'll be able to perform."
"Yeah."
"What about the fans and the public? Are you going to let them know?"
"No. I just want to, keep it between us. Paul will sort out what happens next... next week."
"Ok. Just between us," Liam repeated and Niall smiled.
"Are you going to be able to do the interview?" Louis asked and Niall nodded.
"I think so. I feel ok, just shaken up."
"We get that Niall, and we'll be with you on stage. We'll just see how we go ok," Harry said and Niall nodded.
"We're not going to leave you Niall."
"And if you need anything just say."
"Knock, knock," Jonathan said and they turned to see him standing in the doorway.
"Hi Jonathan."
"How are you boys doing?"
"Yeah, we're good."
"I've heard that you've just come back from the hospital Niall, are you doing alright?" Jonathan asked and Niall went red.
"Yeah, I'm just having a bit of trouble with my knee."
"Ok, is that what your crutches are for?"
"Yeah. Just... can you not mention it on the show? I'm going to leave them here."
"If you need them Niall, you shouldn't be ashamed to use them. People will understand."
"No, I've got the boys," Niall said as he became more stressed.
"We've discussed it. We don't want any rumours to circulate before our world tour starts," Liam said and Jonathan seemed satisfied.
"Ok, if you boys are sure. I'll see you out there, you're on in 10."
"Great. See you then," Louis replied and Jonathan left. Niall breathed a sigh of relief.
"Are you ok Niall?" Harry asked him.
"Yeah. I can do this."
"We're so proud of you mate."
"Yeah," Liam said and Niall smiled.

He plucked up the courage for the interview, which went well and Jonathan didn't mention Niall's crutches. The boys kept a careful eye on Niall throughout but afterwards he seemed happy and relaxed.