18 // The Room

The man at the front waved his weapon around the room of students. Their screens all displayed the same message as Peter's. Just as they were questioning what would happen next, a group of five other people stormed through the doors.

"Get up!" One of the guards roughly shoved the closest child up with a muscular hand. "Follow us - and don't you even think about talking."

Very reluctantly, the group of teammates clustered together, throwing the 'disposable' social outcasts (like Peter) to the outside of their huddle.

They were moved through lots of winding corridors; all looking strangely similar. Without his spider abilities, Peter probably wouldn't have been able to navigate through them alone. After what felt like an eternity, they arrived at what looked like a blanc wall, with two very bland doors - with one way glass - being pushed open for them to enter through.

The group found themselves in a completely white room. It was only furnished by six sets of bunk beds and some blindingly bright lights. Peter could tell that because they were so bulky, the lights' brightness could be controlled somehow - probably by a controller held by one of the guards, or maybe a special control panel on the other side of the building.

Either way, not great for them. Peter slowly moved towards an empty bunk. This time, he's been unfortunate enough to get a bottom one; all the others were taken. It wasn't too close to the door, but it wasn't that far back either. The only way to distinguish it from the rest was counting the beds lining the right hand wall until you reached the third one along. The left and back walls were left bare.

"Stay there." Peter's spider sense had warned him of the voice, but his classmates seemed to jump at it. The guards slowly moved out of the room, but Peter's spider tingle still told him that he was being watched.

Peter watched the doors close, before quickly, yet discreetly, scanning the room. He could already tell the 'cool' people would try to hang out near the back, and the front (near the doors) would definitely be unpopular.

He looked to the left wall and realised that the light was bouncing off of it at a strange angle. Eyeing it more closely, he realised that it was one sided glass; they were observing them. That's why his spider sense was still so alert.

Suddenly, he realised that he'd been staring too long, and looked away. He couldn't look suspicious. Carefully, he made his way over to his bunk, and rested his head down on the plain white pillow.

Thin blankets were provided, but Peter placed his at the end of his bed, and mindlessly got lost in the bottom of the bunk above him. He didn't know exactly when, but at some point, his eyes slowly closed and he gave into unconsciousness.