Chapter 5

Song is Chasing Cars by the Snow Patrol.

Brock's POV

I ran. Maybe I was a coward like Evan said, but I almost killed my friends. It wasn't like I had done it on purpose, I just... lost control. That was the main problem with my powers. Sometimes they're stronger than I am.

I kept running until I made it to my room. Slamming the door shut behind me, I face planted on my bed. My team would be able to handle the others without me. I didn't think they would be much of a problem to begin with. It was clear that the only one that was truly pissed about what was happening was Evan.

Maybe the others will be able to make up and be happy again, I thought. I wish I could. After what just happened, I wouldn't blame Brian if he never wanted to talk to me again.

Laying there, I thought about everything that had happened in the last year. After Ohm had mostly healed me, we fled. It sucked not being able to tell the others where we were going, but they had, technically, just tried to kill us. Honestly we didn't know ourselves at the time where we were going to go, we just went. We finally decided that we had gone far enough when we were a few states away. They had a hotel that was alright with five of us sharing a room for an unknown amount of time. Once we settled, we discussed our next move, whether we stayed here or kept going.

Our talks had been interrupted by a knock at our door. There was a man there that claimed that he wanted to help us, and knew who we were. He said that he could help us train and hone our powers better, along with our other skills. Given everything that had happened, we were obviously cautious, but told him that we would meet him at the address he gave us. The others decided that it would be the best if only a few of us went in case it was a trap, so Scott and Jaren went. They were the two that Ohm had been able to heal the most, and were the best at protecting themselves. They found out that the man went by the name, Sark, and had flying powers similar to Evan's. He told them that he had helped others around the country with their powers as well, so he was knowledgeable on many kinds of powers.

All of us had continued to meet with him over the next few months, gaining muscle and better control of our abilities. Our skills as a team grew as well the longer we were together. We still talked about the guys all the time and kept an eye on the news back home. We saw their rise to the top after we left and all the issues they had started having. When things really started to go downhill for them, we came back and kept a closer eye on them, so we could step in if something like what happened yesterday happened.

My powers were the hardest to grow. I knew I was strong, but was scared to find out what would happen if I fully gave into the ice inside me. Jaren had had to thaw things out for me on multiple occasions, including me and a couple of the others. Luckily, I had never been angry at them, so I had never gone all subarctic on them like I did our other friends. While we were gone, I realized how much having Brian in my life had helped with keeping me calm, and allowed me to have a better handle on my powers. He was my rock and my warmth.

There was a knock on my door.

"Hey Brock, I know you want to be alone right now, but we were talking about getting food and I wanted to know if you wanted any," Jaren asked through the door.

"Sure man, anything is fine. You know what I like from places," I replied, rolling onto my side, so he could hear me.

"Alright. Everyone is alright, by the way. You stopped yourself before you could really hurt them, you know. Also, Brian is asking about you and might come up here even though I told him that you need some space."

"Thank you," I knew I didn't have to say more than that and Jaren would understand. Our friendship had grown over the past year as well. With both of us missing our other halves, he had made do with one another. We knew we weren't replacing our loves, just filling the gap until we could have them back.