Fluffy Pancakes

Ariana Lynch opens her eyes and slowly sits up. She looks over to her clock on the side of the bed: 6:13. Whoops, I can't believe I slept in; actually... I can't believe I slept through the night. She groans before sliding out of her bed and getting ready for the day. She slips on her ripped black jeans and a black hoodie that she got from her previous family. She had received it on the day they kicked her out. Her 'brother' had given it to her.

    Ariana enters the common room at about 7:06 and looks around. She doesn't see anyone, and she figures they must all still be sleeping. Walking over to the fridge, she opens it and takes out some eggs. Looking around, she also grabs out the milk and butter. She mixes up some pancake batter and begins to make pancakes for everyone. She isn't sure if everyone stayed the night so she plans on making more just in case. Plus, then there would be leftovers if any of them wanted for later.

    She hears the elevator ding and looks over to see Barnes, Rogers, and Wilson. They look like they had just done some exercise or something because they're all sweating. Their conversation is stopped short when they notice the teenager making breakfast. "How do you like your eggs?" she asks, not to anyone in particular.

    They each tell her and sit at the island counter after grabbing some water. They watch her make breakfast and thank her once she finishes their servings. More people begin to enter the common room and she asks the same for them. Tony is the last person to enter the room and he heads straight for the coffee pot. "How do you like your eggs?" Ariana asks him.

    "Hmm? Oh, no eggs for me, I'm good with my coffee," he responds.

    "Are you sure? They're delicious!" Sam says.

    "You at least have to have a pancake! They're very good and fluffy," Clint exclaims. The billionaire sighs grabbing a plate and plopping a pancake on it.

    "You don't have to eat it if you don't want to," Ariana smiles weakly.

    Tony says, "no turning back now. I must judge if they're telling the truth or not."

    She lets out a tiny chuckle as she continues to make the pancakes. She feels bad that he has to eat because she made pancakes. If only Mr. Barton didn't insist on him having any, then maybe she would be okay. Tony grabs his cup of coffee and walks over to the long dining table. He sits next to Steve letting out a sigh as he sits. 

"Why don't you come here and eat too?" Natasha suggests. Ariana turns off the stove and grabs a plate of her own, piling on a small portion compared to what she gave the rest of the team. Sitting across from the billionaire, she waits for approval from him or instruction to start eating.

    Taking his first bite of the pancakes, Tony pauses. After he swallows he genuinely compliments, "Wow, these are really good."

"Thank you Mr. Stark."

    "Thank you," he counters. She nods expressionlessly. Ariana looks down to her own meal. Would it be okay if she started eating? Did she have to wait until they ordered her to? She looked back up at the billionaire who was shoving his face with the fluffy pancake and looking at his phone. Glancing over at the rest of the team, she saw Barnes, Rogers, and Wilson had finished and were now conversing quietly amongst themselves. She looks around some more and meets Romanoff's eyes. The ex-spy is watching her.

    Ariana gulps and immediately looks back down to her plate. "Is there something wrong?" Natasha asks, still staring at her. Tony finally looks up from his phone to the teenager he had been forced to take in. He quizzically looks at her staring at her plate of food. He notices that she did not grab much for herself as he sips his hot coffee.

    "Do you not like pancakes? We have other foods if you like," the billionaire offers blandly as if he couldn't give a care.

    "No, this is good," she replies, almost too quickly. She looks up at the group who are now all staring at her. Her face flushes red with embarrassment and she picks up her fork. She picks at her food and plays with it for a while, hoping that they'd stop looking at her and leave.

    "Syrup?" Thor offers, holding up the jug of maple syrup to her. She gratefully accepts it and pours a little bit on her pancake. Some of the people get up and take their dishes to the sink before leaving. She begins to slowly eat her tiny meal.

    "We are going shopping," Tony announces, not taking his eyes off his phone. She jumps slightly, startled by the sudden noise that came out of nowhere. She figures that he means the rest of the team is going shopping while she stays back to clean the mess and maybe work around the house a bit.

    After she finishes her small meal, she gets up and takes the dirty plate sitting in front of Tony, who is still attached to his phone, sipping his coffee. He doesn't even notice. She begins to wash the dishes, but is cut off. "Alright kid ready to go?" Stark asks, setting his mug in the sink.

    She looks up at him with a confused face and nods. "Romanoff, Maximoff, you're coming with us," he barks over to the women that are sitting on the couch gossiping. If he truly wanted, he could just send the girls with her, but Tony wanted to spend at least a little time with this kid before returning her. She seems like an alright kid.

    Tony leads the women to the garage where several expensive vehicles were parked. They climb into a sleek, dark red coloured car and Tony starts the ignition. They ride along the busy street and reach a large mall. Tony parks the car and they all head in. Ariana looks around her. The giant building had many people in it and it looked very beautiful.

    Noticing the awe-struck girl Tony asks, "never been to this mall before?"

    "No, I don't normally go shopping," she answers, looking at all the shops and food stops.

    "Well you girls can lead the way, what store should we stop at first?" he asks Ariana. She doesn't notice that the question was directed at her. She stops looking around the mall after a minute or so passes and looks up at the women that were with her. Why aren't they answering? Did I miss part of the conversation?

    "Don't have any places in mind?" Natasha questions.

    "Me?"

    Wanda giggles, "yes you. We are here to get you clothes!"

    "Oh, I already have clothes. I brought them with me," she informs them.

    "Well if you could fit all your clothes into a backpack, you surely don't have enough," Stark joins in. Ariana is taken off-guard. She thought they were just going shopping for the adults that are with her. She didn't realise that this trip was planned for her.

    "I think we should start over there, I haven't seen it before!" Wanda exclaims, pointing at a cute little shop.