Abandoning Day

Ariana steps out of the warm shower wondering if this will be her final one for a while. She sighs as she wraps a white towel around her body. She really likes it here, she doesn't want to go. Since it's been a month, she knows there is going to be someone to take her back to the foster care system soon to be taken to a new home. With a heavy heart, she pulls on her tee and some jeans, adding a black leather jacket to cover her arms.

Walking out of the room, she grabs the backpack she arrived with and begins to pack it. She knows that Mr. Stark won't want to keep her. He hates her. She sighs, angry with herself. She can never do anything right, she is never good enough, she never lives up to their standards. She is a failure. A worthless child that can't be loved. Too many mistakes, too many problems. No one will love her if she were to truly let someone in. She already had one slip up with Sargent Barnes, and she was careful to not let that happen again. Luckily he bought her story about it being something that doesn't happen often so the word didn't get out about it. He probably thinks she hasn't had a nightmare too bad since that night, and he would be sorely mistaken. She surely would have been kicked out of the tower sooner had he told anyone.

As she walks to the kitchen she can't help but think about how sometime soon Tony will sit down and explain that she is going back to the system. Since he never really expresses his emotions, she supposes he won't even try to fake sadness for her departure, not that it matters to her anyway. She frowns, even though she tried her hardest not to get attached, she couldn't help but grow little bonds with Wanda and Natasha. She also had slowly begun to let Bucky and Clint in a little bit. She obviously didn't trust them as much as she did Natasha or Wanda, but she definitely trusted them the most out of all the men she met at the tower. Although the bonds are very small, she can't help but feel heartbroken as she waits for her inevitable doom. Being abandoned, again.

Meanwhile

"How are things going with the kid?" Pepper Potts asks Tony, sitting on the sofa across from him. She had just got back from some business meetings and is excited to meet her.

"Good," Tony shrugs. "It's actually going better than I expected. I thought I was going to have a toddler running around screaming and making messes."

"What? She told you the morning after you made the agreement. I was with you both." Pepper frowns, confused.

"You thought I was actually paying attention? That morning I had like one of the worst hangovers!"

She rolls her eyes, "I should have known."

"Yes you should have," he agrees.

"So when do I get to meet her?" Pepper asks, excitement creeping into her voice.

"She should be coming to make dinner soon," he shrugs. "Oh, there are a few things I think I should mention about her."

She lifts her eyebrow in response, "did you stalk her?"

"It's not stalking!" he defends.

"It basically is," she argues with a shake of her head.

"And no, I haven't done my research yet. Thanks for reminding me," he adds, taking out a laptop. She rolls her eyes as the billionaire messes with the laptop.

"She is.. interesting. Just know that she will probably call you by your last name. She still calls me Mr. Stark, I told her that Tony is fine, but she doesn't like to call me that" he starts, not wanting the awkward silence to continue.

"She also is always 'a bit chilly' -her words, not mine. So don't be surprised to see her wearing nothing but long sleeves; in fact-" he pauses, reflecting over the month he has had that wonderful girl. "I don't think I have ever seen her wear a short-sleeved shirt."

Pepper nods, taking in the information. "What does she usually do to occupy her time?"

"Ah, she is also interesting in that way, she cleans and cooks a lot. We insist that it is unnecessary, but I think she'd go mad if she didn't have something to help out with around here." He chuckles out the last bit, not knowing the reason behind her need to help out.

"Okay, well what about hobbies?" Pepper asks.

"She likes baking. I know she likes to read too," he pauses, thinking. "Don't tell anyone this, but she also likes to dance. I caught her dancing a few times in the training room when I was looking for Steve, Clint, and Nat. I don't tell anyone because it'll probably embarrass her."

Pepper stares at Tony with an amused smirk. Seeing this, he frowns, "what?"

"If I had to guess, I think that you actually like her," she states.

"Whatever," he shrugs, slightly rolling his eyes.

She smiles, "deny it all you want Stark, but I can see through your stupid front you're putting up."

"I don't know what you're talking about," he dismisses, crossing his arms.

Pepper chuckles at his response. With a little wink, she hums, "mhm."

Tony pulls up a report on the laptop and his face drops the smug grin. He clenches his jaw as his eyes begin to slightly narrow, his eyes hovering over the words. Knowing something is wrong Pepper's smile drops as well. She notices his face pale and asks, "what? What is it?"