Vulnerable

"I'm sorry," Ariana mutters, ducking her head in a submissive gesture.

Furrowing his brows, Tony asks, "why are you sorry?"

She doesn't know what to say. Perhaps it would be better if she doesn't say anything. Not receiving any response, Tony continues, "why were you crying?"

Biting her lip, she wonders what she should say. Maybe she should tell him about her flashbacks? That way he might not be as mad at her for being so weak. But it could also make him think she's crazy and cause him to abandon her.

She could just say it was because the paparazzi overwhelmed her, but would that be good enough of an excuse? He'd probably get angry with her for getting "upset" over such trivial matters.

It was times like this that Tony Stark wishes he could read minds. He just wished he could know what she was thinking; why she acts the way she does.

"It was nothing," she lies.

Frowning, he knows that she definitely wasn't telling the truth. "Right."

Her stomach churns with anxiety. They would always say that when they were angry with her. He's angry with her. He's going to hurt her.

"I'm sorry."

"Ariana, you have no need to apologise. I just want to help."

Furrowing her brows, she looks up at the torn billionaire. Does he really mean it? Surely he can't. What is he planning on getting out of her? Is he looking for a reason to kick her out?

"I'm fine really," she insists, smiling.

Tony sighs, "alright then."

He meanders to the door, pausing before opening the door. He didn't want to leave it at that, but he knew he wasn't getting anything from her. Turning around he asks, "wanna do something tomorrow?

Figuring he'd probably want her to say yes, she gives him the answer she believes that will make him happy, "sure."

Nodding his head, Tony says goodnight to his daughter before slipping out of the room.

Once Tony exits the room, both he and his daughter deeply exhale.

Tony doesn't know why he's so terrified of talking to her. Anyone else, and he doesn't care what they think of him. When it comes to Ariana, he doesn't want to mess anything up—not any further at least.

Ariana thought he was going to do something. It confused her beyond belief when he had left her unharmed. She wasn't sure whether she should be happy about it or not.

On one hand, she was happy that she wasn't in pain, but on the other, she knew she deserved that pain.

Sitting at his bar with his drink sitting on it and his hands covering his face, Tony thinks about all the things he could have done differently. He finds it ironic that his fear of being a bad father made him exactly that.

The team, sitting on the couches near the bar area, all watch Tony finally allow himself to be a little vulnerable in front of them. To be honest, they never thought they'd see the day. Ariana was bringing something good out of him slowly, but surely.

Now if only the same would happen for Ariana.

The next morning, Tony sees Ariana sitting at the kitchen island. He smiles when she glances his way as he goes towards his freshly made coffee. Grabbing it, he turns around and leans against the counter.

"So, kiddo, what do you feel up for today?" Stark asks before taking a sip of his coffee.

She bites her lip and thinks of what Mr. Stark would want her to say. She's not sure what she should say. Ariana honestly doesn't really know him well enough to know where he would want to go.