Self-Hatred

A/N- Hey loves, just wanted to remind you that this book is filled with deeply serious topics. Many of them are touched on again in this chapter and I heavily advise that you proceed with caution.

It has been three days since Tony regained custody of Ariana. She refuses to come out of her room and won't talk to anybody. They've all tried. On numerous occasions. Worry didn't even begin to describe how the Avengers were feeling.

It was rare that Ariana would eat all of her food. Sometimes it went completely untouched. They're at a loss for what to do. They all want to help; but how can they do that if she won't give them anything to work with?

No one blames Tony for what happened to her. It would be foolish to do such a thing. The only person whose fault it was is the man who got away—free—with hurting a child in a way no man should.  Of course, they didn't know that and blamed the trauma on the wife; you can't blame them when looking at the situation from their point of view. Although that was a traumatizing event, it was nothing compared to the night before. Nothing came up about the man who abused her. They all figured that the woman had just gone insane. So, no; no one blames Tony for being the reason she has locked herself away from everyone.

No one except himself.

It's only one more thing to add to his "Things I Should Have Done Differently" or "Reasons Why I Hate Myself" lists. He's locked himself up in his lab blasting music to try and drown out the noise in his head. Every day he asks Friday if she has come out, and every day comes the same response; no. He can't help but go over scenarios of what could have happened if he didn't get there in time. Or what things would be like now if he hadn't given her up. Sure, she wouldn't have been happy—or at least so he thinks, but at least she would have been spared the trauma. If only he had listened to Pepper. Goddammit, why didn't he listen to her? It's all his fault. 

Sitting on the tiled floor, Ariana dry heaves. She had already thrown up all of her food. Something severe pain can do to a person. Of course, Ariana blames herself for this mess. She is a horrible person; someone that doesn't deserve any kindness. How could she stoop as low as to provoke married men? Sure, it's not like she tried; in fact, she actively avoided revealing clothing. She doesn't understand how she provokes them, but she believes she must be doing something.

What if she provokes Mr. Stark?

Ariana shakes her head, grimacing. She doesn't want that image in her head. All she wants is for someone to care about her and treat her decently. So far, Tony, in her opinion, has gone above and beyond that. Despite never really being present and not being the greatest father—with her past experience, this has been heaven.

He never yells at her, he's never hit, cut, whipped, or punched her, and on top of that—most importantly to her—he hasn't used her or shown any signs that he wants to.

Just the bare minimum was enough to make Ariana eternally grateful. Though, she'd understand if he were to change his mind again. Especially if he were to find out what a horrible slut she is.

Her mind can't help but continue to show the bloody image of the woman. The woman that committed suicide because of her. It's all her fault, and she can't do anything to fix it; so, that is why Ariana has locked herself in the bathroom with only a cold blade and her mistake book to keep her company.

It's only by the fourth day that the majority of the team decides that they've had enough. The two Starks can't spend the rest of their lives locked up. Together the team had formulated a plan to get them both to talk to one another, so they can move on with things.

"Ariana?" Natasha gently knocks on the bathroom door. Once again there is no response. "Ariana, we need you."

Ariana furrows her brows. What ever could they need her for? "It's Tony, we need your help," she tries again. Ariana stands up with her brows creased. How was she supposed to help him? What could she possibly do to help? Reaching her full height, she sways before quietly crashing into the sink. Another round of nausea rushes up and her vision blurs.  She bites down the pain before setting her blade and book in the medicine cabinet.

Natasha lets out a breath she didn't realise she had been holding when Ariana peeps out the doorway. It feels like an intense weight has been lifted from her shoulders; she can breathe again. Slightly frowning at how pale she looks, Natasha takes out her phone to text Bruce to prepare a check-up for her.

Sliding the phone back into her pocket, Natasha guides Ariana to the door with her left arm gently wrapped around her lower back. "He's locked himself in his lab and won't come out. Even Pepper couldn't get him to."

"What makes you think I can help?" Ariana quietly questions.

"I just have a feeling."

Ariana frowns as she walks over to Stark's lab. She doesn't know what to do. Natasha opens the door for her after entering the password she's not supposed to know. Gently pushing Ariana in, she sends her an encouraging nod before turning on her heel to leave.

Swallowing the lump in her throat, Ariana cautiously walks further into the lab, taking in every detail. Many projects lie around half-finished or abandoned. Papers and coffee cups flow out of the bins. Designs and blueprints are messily scattered about. In the middle of it all is the man that saved her.

Except she's never seen him like this.

Tony's hair is a greasy mess. Grey sweatpants and a black tee-shirt match his disoriented state. The dark circles under his eyes are horrible. In fact, he's on the verge of falling asleep. Biting her lip, she contemplates the next step. Ariana knows she isn't wanted. She knows she is just a bother. So why would they send her to get him? Did no one else want to risk getting an angry reaction out of him? Would he be angry? Surely he would be with her. She doesn't feel right even being able to be in this room. Definitely feeling like she doesn't belong only makes her feel even smaller in the massive room.

"Sir, it seems as though you have a guest," Friday states, making both people practically jump to the ceiling. Ariana cringes and mentally curses Friday. She's going to get in trouble thanks to it!

Tony stares wide-eyed, not completely able to comprehend that his daughter-no, his foster child is standing in front of him. After a few seconds, his horribly sleep-deprived brain takes in the fact that his little girl is right in front of him. He quickly stands up. Ariana nervously watches him advance.

Stopping in front of the teenager, Tony repeatedly opens his mouth before shutting it again. He's never been great with things like this. He has nothing to say. What could he possibly say? Nothing could make what he did right, and he has no idea how to convey just how sorry he is.