03. Are You Prepared To Get Burned?

Isabelle

"Oh my goodness this is so exciting!" My mother exclaims as she ruffles through my closet to try to find something for me to wear tonight.

"More like frightening." I mumble under my breath but she must've heard me because she threw a hair brush at me.

"Stop being so difficult Isabelle. This is a good idea. You guys are to be married very soon and it's smart to start making appearances together. Milo is a very smart and charming man." My mother gushes at me with a bug smile on her face.

Barf.

I don't know what tonight will hold but what I know for sure is that Milo will not think twice to kill me in the alleyway if I mouth off.

Which I tend to do a lot.

I'm still very young. I don't want to get married right now. Especially to someone who doesn't and will never love me. That's not the life I want to live. But it's the life I was born into. And I can't change that no matter how bad I want to have a normal life.

I want to go to college, but my parents think that's preposterous saying how 'a woman in this life does not need an education. They just need to be married off to continue the bloodline.'

Yeah...my parents are assholes.

And it's sucks considering I'm their only child which means I'm their only top priority.

"I think this one is lovely." My mother says showing me a dark green gown with a slit on the right side. The tops of the dress dips down into a low V that will definitely show my cleavage. It is a very pretty dress I will not lie. I just don't want to fucking go out. Especially with Milo.

"It is." I say with a tight smile.

My mother then spends the next two hours getting me ready for this conference that I will be attending with Milo. I'm kind of shitting bricks here. I don't know what to expect. It's now 8:30pm and I'm fully dressed with my makeup and hair complete. There's a loud knock on the front door and my mother squeals clapping her hands.

"That must be him! Oh I'm so excited!"

That makes one of us.

She then runs out of my room and down stares to open the front door.

I hear muffled voices and I sigh looking at myself in the mirror. I do look good. Really good. My mother curled my hair and pinned some pieces up leaving the rest down. My makeup is natural with a slight smokey eye and nude lip. I turn to my bed to put on my black strapped heels.

Going back to my mirror to look at the finally completed look, I yelp and quickly turn around when I see Milo leaning against my door frame.

He's wearing an all black suit without the jacket and the first two buttons of his shirt is undone. His dark hair a slicked back and his beard is cleanly trimmed.

He looks terrible.

That's a lie he looks fucking irresistible.

"You clean up nice." I say with a fake smile before turning back around to face my mirror. I can see him still leaning against the door frame and I apply another coat of nude lipgloss.