04. Wrong Door

Isabelle

I haven't seen or spoken to Milo since the conference two weeks ago.

We are set to be married at the end of the month and I haven't even heard from him since he threatened to kill someone for simply just being nice to me.

Why say those things if I mean nothing? I know he does not care about me. All of his conquests can prove that. He is a man of many gifts. One being that he likes to please more that one woman at a time.

He will never be loyal to me as a husband. He'll never love me. I should simply just run away and start a new life of my own. I never wanted to be apart of this. I never wanted to be forced into a marriage. I never wanted to be the silent wife who has no say in anything. I never wanted to be scared that someone might kidnap me to get back at my husband. I never wanted any of this. But no one seems to care what poor Isabelle has to say.

"Isabelle."

Would anyone notice if I actually do run away? Would Milo just find someone else to marry? There are other families in Italy that could strengthen the mafia, they don't need me.

"Isabelle."

In plus, I just know that Milo would be happy if I weren't around. I know he doesn't want to marry me. I can see it in his eyes. And also by the way he talks to me. Lust? Sure. I can see that, but not love. Being married to him would be difficult. But I know that if I try to put up a fight that my father would just lock me in the dark closet again. But instead of hours, it would probably be for days. I never ignored the fact that my father was not happy that I was a girl and not a boy. That I couldn't take over because it's not known in the underworld that women are leaders. He was even more mad at the fact that my mother couldn't have anymore children after me since my birth was hard on her body. My father makes sure everyday that I never forget that I ruined his chance on having a son.

"Isabelle!"

I snap out of my thoughts when I hear my mother scream my name. I look up to see both my mother and Mrs. Wolfe staring at me. My mother more of irritation and Mrs. Wolfe more of concern. We are at the Wolfe Manor to discuss wedding details. I'm sitting here wearing another white flowy dress but instead of heels I'm wearing my flower covered converse.

"I'm sorry." I say with an apologetic smile. "I must've dozed off."

"Typical." My mother rolls her eyes and goes back to talking with Mrs. Wolfe.

She looks at me with a sad smile and I return the smile back.

My mother then abruptly stands up from the couch. "I'm going to go call my husband real quick. I should be back soon." She then turns to me and says, "Behave." Before walking out.

"I know this must be hard for you." I hear Mrs. Wolfe say. I look up to her and just shrug my shoulders.

"It's what I need to do. I was born into this. I have no choice." And it's true. I have no choice.

"My son can be a butthead at times but I promise you that he can be very sweet too."

I laugh at her choice of words. Butthead? Wow. I never thought I'd hear that come out of any other persons mouth but mine.