💮 004

Episode Four: “Dinner”

💮💮💮

Rachel arrived at her in-laws place and nervously fiddled with her hands. Patrick looked at her pitifully. “Are you nervous?” he asked.

“Yes” Rachel answered without thinking. She looked at Patrick sheepishly.

“It’s okay to be nervous. It is expected since this is the first time you are meeting her” Patrick said. “You will be fine, you are a nice girl.”

“Thank you” Rachel smiled and Patrick left. Rachel walked to the door and knocked. She knocked again and a maid opened the door.

“Good morning madam” The maid greeted and Rachel felt a bit weird to hear that. She politely responded just as Juliana, Vicky’s stepmother approached her with a warm smile.

“Good Afternoon ma” Rachel greeted politely.

“Good afternoon, don’t call me ma, you can call me mother” Juliana offered kindly. “how are you?”

“I’m fine ma” Rachel smiled hesitantly. As Juliana led her in, she was reminded of the brush up her father and Bethany gave her of Vicky’s family.

“Juliana Aiyedehin, she is Vicky’s stepmother and Austin’s mother. She is sharp-witted, observant, social and calculative. She is the one you have to watch out for–she has a way of getting people to talk–she is classy though.”

Juliana sat Rachel down and Rachel tried to hide her discomfort and nervousness. “You must feel strange, this is the first time we are meeting” Juliana said sympathetically. “Vicky was very cruel to not meet you before the wedding. He didn’t even bother to introduce you to the family.”

Rachel looked away, realizing Juliana was trying to make her feel bad. “It’s okay, Vicky must have had his reasons” she quickly defended, “what matters is that I will be meeting the family now.”

“You are right” Juliana mused. “listen, since we are having a dinner for the whole family, I was wondering if you could cook.”

“Cook?” Rachel repeated.

“Yes, is that a problem?” Juliana asked.

Rachel shook her head. “No, I can do it. It is a good idea.” Rachel agreed, “as your daughter in-law, it will be good to cook for the whole family. I will like them to accept me as the daughter in-law of the family.”

“You are a very sweet girl” Juliana smiled, cupping her cheek and got up. Rachel got up too.

“Um, where is the kitchen and what would you like me to cook?” Rachel said readily. Juliana shot her a thoughtful look and led her to the kitchen.