Chapter 6- We Have To Hurry

I'm driving in my car, listening to Jamie Grace on my playlist. I hum the tune while I turn to the interstate. My phone rings and I dig into my purse.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Hey, it's Steven." Steven replies.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Oh, I was wondering, maybe instead of building a house, we should just live underground. One, it doesn't cost that much. Two, all I have to do is dig. Three, wouldn't it be better to live underground and not get caught, or live in a house far away and get found out by the beast?"

I think for a quick second and titter, "I guess you're right, Steven. Maybe I will help you. I'm on my way to the store. Do you need anything?"

"Well, we could use some tools. Hammer, screwdriver, screws, nail, etcetera."

"Okay. Talk to you later, love you!"

"Love you too! Bye," Steve says.

"Bye," I hang up and park in front of Walmart.

I pick up the supplies that we needed. Hammers, screwdrivers, screws, nails, wrenches, beans, gallons of water, and other things. I go up to the cash register and pull out my wallet. I look inside the cash spot and pull out $300.

"That will be $289, ma'am," the lady at the cash register says. Her name is Tara Martin, for that's what her name tag says. She is African American and she has a relaxer in her hair. Her makeup looks like she drowned her face with foundation, eyeshadow, and eyeliner.

I hand her my money and look around. Everyone seems so happy and quiet. Unlike the days of the rapture.

"Are you getting ready for the tribulation?" Tara asks

I lean in and nod.

"I am too. To tell you the truth, I am a Christian. I became one right after the rapture. I know what I did wrong and I'm willing to help everyone I can. I don't want the world to hear because I don't want to get caught," Tara says.

She pulls out a slip of paper and writes something down. She hands it to me and I look at it. It's her phone number.

"Take that and call me as soon as you can. I would like for us to meet and help each other. Do you live with anyone, or do you live alone?" she asks.

"Yes. My friend, Steven, is building a small shelter for us. Maybe I could talk to him and we can see about adding another person," I say. Tara smiles and says good bye. I wave and leave.

What did I just do? I don't even know the girl. Maybe a talk with Steve will be a good idea, I think to myself.

I smile and shake my head to myself. I'm about to walk out the door until I see something that caught my eye. It was a magazine about Fersonda Zhuravlev. The headline says, We Are Now The Gods and We Will All Be Together. There's a picture of Fersonda giving his speech to the world. I buy the magazine and go straight for home. I couldn't wait to tell Steven what was going on.

I slam the magazine on our dining room table. Steven glares at me and reads the headline.

"We need to get to work. Steven, you have been slacking on your duties. We need to start before the mark gets mandatory. Also, this girl Tara, wants to meet with us. She says she is a Christian and wants to help us. I am a little hesitant and wanted to see what you suggest," I say.

Steve puts down the magazine and puts his hands on mine.

"Dear Lord, we need your help. We don't know who to trust or what to trust, but we are going to do whatever you tell us. We don't know if Tara is lying to us. Please tell us. In your name I pray, amen." Steven prays.

I take a deep breath and calm down.

"I'm sorry for slacking on my job. Sofie, I need your help. I can't do this alone. Please, if we start now, we will be able to build this underground shelter by the end of the month," Steven says.

I put my hand on his shoulder and nod my head. He jumps up and hugs me tightly. To me, Steve can overreact just a little bit too much.

I go in my room to get dress. I go in my closet and put on deep ruby (a shade of purple) overalls and my hot pink converses. I go outside to find Steven shovelling a deep hole in the ground.

"What do you want me to do, Steven?" I ask.

He looks around. He points to a bucket full of water and says, "I want you to drizzle some water in here. It will be easier to shovel. Then you can help me out shoveling and measuring how deep the hole should be for all three of us."

I smile and jog to the bucket. I go over to the hole, drizzle some water, and stop.

Would it be funny just to throw the entire bucket on him?

Steven looks at me with a "what are you about to do?" face. I look at the bucket and toss it in the air. The water looks like rain and Steven gets covered in it. He is drenched in water and his skin from his white t-shirt.

"Oh Steven, I just realized that I had to do something in the house. I guess I will see you later," I say, running in the house.

I turn around, making sure that Steven isn't chasing me. He is which makes me run quicker. There is a wheelbarrow in my way, but I decide to jump over it. He trips over the 3 foot wheelbarrow and falls into really thick mud. I start laughing and close the door.

I go inside the closet and get a towel. I feel sort of bad, so I go inside his room and pick out a shirt and some shorts. I go to the sink and put some water in a cup. I turn to the fridge and find the number Tara gave me. I take it off its magnet and pick up the phone.

"Hello?" the caller ask.

"Hey, is this Tara?" I ask.

"Yes this is. Who am I speaking to?" Tara ask.

Wow! She actually answered.

"Oh, this is Sofie Robertson. You gave me your number the other day," I reply.

"Oh, hey Sofie. I was just thinking about you. So, what are we going to do?" she asks.

I explain to her about our whole plan living underground and hiding from this secret society.

"So what do you want me to do? I really want to do my part," she says.

I am surprised at her. In a good way. She really wants to help out.

"Well, you can help with building the underground shelter. Here is the address: 2332 Wilber Street. Do you have it?"

"Mhm and I will be right over there, if that's ok," she reassures.

I agree and hang up. The door opens and I think it's Steven. Instead it's a man.

The man is dress in a black suit with a green striped tie. He is very menace and it's scaring me.

"Hello and what are you doing in my house?" I ask, trying to sound intimidating.

"Sorry for scaring you. I am John White and I am going around the entire neighborhood telling them the important news. The mark will soon be mandatory and already some of the local stores are going already promoting it. I just want to give everyone a heads up," Mr. White says.

"Thank you sir. Can please get out before I get my husband in here and call the police," I say getting out my phone.

I really don't have a husband, but the way I say it makes him really fearful.

He puts his hands up and walks backwards.

"I'm very sorry ma'am. You don't need to do that. I will leave and never enter again," he surrenders and I walk him out the door.

The man leaves and I close the door. I have to tell Steven what I just found out.