Chapter 15- Are We Caught?

A few days later, Steven, Tara, and I haven't stopped working for a whole 120 hours (5 days). The small shelter is almost complete.

I wake up. I yawn and stretch. Today is going to be the last day to finish, hopefully. Steven and Tara aren't up yet. I decide to be nice and make them some breakfast. I look in the pantry and grab some pancake mix and raisins. I plan to make raisin pancakes. Steven loves them, and Tara hasn't tried them yet.

I light up a fire in the fire pit to make my pancakes. I hang my pan above the fire so the pancakes can cook. I mix my ingredients and then pour them into the pan. As I'm flipping the pancake up, dirt falls from the ceiling. Hmm, that's weird, I think to myself.

I ignore it and smell the aroma. The scent of the pancakes are so good, my mouth waters. More dirt falls from the ceiling and now I'm questioning.

Maybe it is just an animal. Yeah, an animal, I tell myself, trying not burn my pancakes.

Just to make sure, I look out the secret window. Instead of hooves or paws, there are boots. Hard, military boots. Oh no, the police are here. I go to the door and listen outside.

"Okay men we are here to find these people. The coordinates tells us that they are right here. Now search," The leader says.

I know that voice. It sounds familiar. I look out the secret window again. I try to make out the leader. Men are in the way of everything. One man in particular is dressed differently. He turns around. It's Fredrick!  

Fredrick looks different. He has a brown goatee and freckles on his face. His face has matured since I last saw him. He moves toward me and pauses. The door is making a knocking sound. I assume is that Fredrick is stomping on it.

"Hmm, I wonder what we have here. Alright men, I think we have found what we are looking for," Fredrick says, chuckling.

I step into action. I ring the bell and I here Steven panicking. I tell him to shush a little, even though it's not help much. Tara wakes up calmly, grabbing her clothes. I quietly tell her to hurry up, for they can bust open the door any minute. I go in my room and grab my things. In a hurry. I can't believe they found us. I am praying, pleading that God can give us a little bit more time.

The bumping against the door. I can tell that the door is giving away. I give them a signal that I'm going to the passageways. The door busts open. There stands Fredrick. Steven's twin brother, my ex-boyfriend.

"Why hello Sofie. It's so nice to see you. How long has it been? Six years since I last saw you. Wow! That is a very long time. Please sit down," he says, offering my chair.

I pass. Why would I want to sit with a guy I despise? Of course I don't say hate. That would mean I would kill him in my heart. I don't want him to die, but to live peacefully on this earth.

"What do you want with us? We haven't caused any harm to the environment. We didn't do anything wrong," I protest. I know I'm wrong, but I want to make a diversion for the others to go.

Fredrick chuckles a little bit. I don't see what's so funny.

"Oh but you did do something wrong. You haven't taken the mark. The numbers 666 has to be on your right hand or forehead. I don't see it on any of those places," Fredrick says, looking around my body.

I give him a disgusted look. Fredrick acts like one of those intimidating villains on television. I eye Steven and Tara in the back. I give them the signal. Fredrick and some of his minions gives me weird look. They hear a loud bang and look at the passageways.

"The others made an escape. Go after them!" Fredrick yells at the other soldiers.

Before they go anywhere, I reach in my bag and grab some mosquito killer. It's a spray that you put on your body, just in case you didn't know. I spray it in their eyes, and run to the passageways as quickly as I can. I can hear their agony and automatically feel sorry for them. I grab a flashlight and go in. I hear footsteps on my tail. I go as fast as I can, but it's not good enough. I go faster and faster. Then I hear a loud, BANG! BANG!

I fall to the ground. My leg feels shock and pain. I get up, limping. Trying to my way to the smaller shelter.

Just a few more feet. The soldier isn't as near. God help me, I tell myself.

I can feel blood dripping down my leg, making a trail. Hopefully they don't know I'm going through the door. Hopefully the others made it through without any injuries.

I make it to the small shelter. I open the door and close it quietly and quickly. I turn around and Tara and Steven are opened mouths. Thank God they don't have any injuries.

"Oh my Sofie, I'll get you some bandages. What happened?" Tara asked. I'm sure she knows but is shocked.

"I got shot. I'll be okay though. I just need to stop the bleeding," I say in pain.

Steven comes to my aid. "It's going to be okay. I'm right here. We need to tie the bandage tightly on her leg, that way the bleeding will stop. Man, why would someone do this? Why would my own brother do this?" Steven says, crying.

I never saw Steven cry so much. Over me. He used to be a tough boy, when he was younger. I guess that after the rapture, after his parents disappearing, it took his toughness away.

"The bible says that people would want to kill us because of what we believe in," Tara says, soaking the bandages

When we think that everything is over, one person is still alive. Waiting to kill us.

"They are alive. I can feel it. I want to bomb this place. Just in case they are still here. Somewhere," Fredrick says to one of his soldiers.

The soldier looks like he wants to protest, but he can't. Fredrick is his captain and can't disobey him.

The next thing we know, fire and smoke is everywhere. The ground is taking up. I fall down. Hard. And I close my eyes. This is the last thing I need.