Chapter 1 - Yrsa's POV

My alarm rudely awakens me from my slumber. I definitely did not retrain my sleep cycle before school started. The alarm serves as the reminder that summer break is officially over and this will be my last year in high school. I quickly turn it off and just stare at the time. Who decided that five in the morning was a good time for anybody to be awake?

I trudge down the hall to my bathroom and prepare to get ready for my day. I brush my teeth and wash my face. I put on some light concealer and blush and some chapstick. I like to keep my makeup natural so my freckles really show. My mother always told me they were my best feature and that they were kisses from angels.

I go back into my room and look longingly into my closet. Waiting for something, anything to jump out at me. My eyes catch onto this velvet dress. It's a beautiful green that pairs with my fair complexion and red hair. Just what I need for the hot climate. I slip it on and throw a black cardigan over it. I put on a white pair of Doc Martens to complete the outfit.

I put on some deodorant and perfume before going to water my many plants

I put on some deodorant and perfume before going to water my many plants. I set them in my windowsill so they can get some sunlight while I'm gone. I make my bed and gather everything I'll need for school before heading downstairs. I go downstairs and I am greeted by my mother making us some coffee and her famous pancakes.

"Good morning, sweetie," she says to me her calming voice.

"Good morning, mom. Are those pancakes I smell?"

"It sure is. My famous ones too."

I giggle. She knows how to brighten my day before it even starts. She always has. I never knew my father which left me with some very unresolved "daddy issues", but that's besides the point. My mother has always been my rock, and as I've gotten older, I've tried to be hers when she lets me. She's gotten me through everything. That and my best friend, Lillie. Who should be coming through the door right about. . .

"Good morning, Ms. Adelaide. Morning Yrsa."

Now. She surprises me with her outfit choice. Usually she's dressed in jeans and a band t-shirt, usually I am too. Looks like she got my telepathic memo. She's wearing a light blue dress and black converse as well. The blue goes with her brunette hair perfectly.

"Good morning, dear," my mother says to her.

"You can call me mom, ya know? I practically raised you too."

"I know. I just like messing with you sometimes," Lillie retorts.

My mother chuckles as she pours all three of us cups of coffee. She gives me the cow mug, she knows it's my favorite. Lillie turns her attention towards me and I can see her wide, anxious but enthusiastic eyes.

"Can you believe it's senior year already? It seems like just yesterday you and your mom moved in next door and I met you for the first time."

I sigh in contentment thinking back to that moment. That was the moment I met my forever friend.