Chapter 33 - Yrsa's POV

Lillie's doing a great job of keeping me hostage. I know Bear is just doing what's best for me, but I'm so incredibly anxious. I don't know who is on the other side of that door and if they're hurting my mother or Bear. All I can hear is yelling and it terrifies me.I go closer to the window and pull back the curtain.

"What are you doing," Lillie questions.

"I'm just trying to see if I need to be as fucking anxious as I am right now."

I can barely see them, but I can see just enough. I see an unfamiliar man standing next to Bear. He looks like he's possibly drunk. I see him raise a fist towards my mother and that's when I snap.

I quickly move away from the window and over to Lillie who is guarding the door. She has a look of shock in her eyes. She didn't see what happened at the hospital. She's never really known this side of me.

"Lillie, please move. I'm trying so hard to keep my cool right now, but that bastard out there just raised his fist at mom."

"Oh, hell no, I'm coming with," she says as she opens the door.

This is why I love her. Lillie quickly throws her hair up into a bun. I've seen her in fight mode once or twice, back when I was too scared to fight for myself.

I quickly swing open the front door. It's like everything froze. The man who's about to hit my mom looks over to me and smiles. He drops his fist before looking at me. I look over to Bear who is holding something in his pocket. I know my mom keeps a gun in her office, now I know why.

"So, Adelaide, this is the daughter you've been keeping from me," he says in a sinister voice.

I feel a sick and twisted feeling in my gut. This man is my "father". I don't believe it. I look to my mom for an answer. Her eyes are filled with shame and guilt.

"I'm not your daughter," I spit out.

"Oh, believe it, sweetheart."

"Don't you dare ever fucking call me that! As far as I'm concerned, my father is dead."

"Ouch, that really hurts, Yrsa," he says sarcastically.

"What the hell do you want?"

"I just want to have a conversation with my daughter. It is Christmas after all."

"I am not your daughter!"

I see the anger glaze over his eyes before I feel his hand yank my hair, bringing me to the ground. My eyes close in fear. I feel a tear escape as I hear a gunshot and a loud groan. Once I realize I'm not dead, I look over to Bear. His hands are still in his pockets. Then, I see my mom.

She has the gun in her hands. Her arms stay outstretched as she looks in shock at what she's just done. My hair is released and I'm forcefully pushed forward. This man, who I don't even know the name of, is now laying on the ground. He's still breathing but he's struggling.

"Lillie, take Yrsa inside and call the police," my mom says as she turns on the safety and puts the gun down.

Lillie grabs my hand and takes me inside. I feel Bear following, but we're both too in shock to say anything to each other. I sit down on the couch and he pulls me into his arms. What the hell just happened? I see my "father" for the first time in 18 years and he gets shot. The worst part is, I don't feel bad. Not in the slightest.

I don't feel a single miniscule bit of worry, remorse, or regret. He was going to hit my mother, and judging by the bruise on her arm, he had already done something before we went out there. I make the connection of the bruise to the thud we heard against the house earlier. This makes my blood boil. He really thought he could get away with this?

I hear police sirens get closer and closer. Bear holds me tighter as I see the red and blue lights arrive. How did our Christmas turn into this? Mom comes inside a few minutes after the police arrive. I'm assuming they have him in custody already. I have so many questions, but I know now isn't the time.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Bear and I are back at the apartment. We made sure that mom and Lillie were okay before we left. So many thoughts are running through my head. Why was he there? How did he know where to find us? Has my mom been seeing him without me knowing? What did he want with me?

"Princess, how are you doing," Bear asks, petting my head.

"I feel sick."

"How, babygirl? Tell Daddy all about it."

"I don't really feel anything. I don't feel regret or remorse for what happened. He got shot and he could've died, but I don't feel anything. In fact, I wanted to be the one to shoot him."

I can tell I shocked Bear. He's never heard me say something like that before, and I've never thought anything like that before. I don't want to hurt people, but I'll protect my family with everything that I have.

"Sadly, I know what you mean, princess."

I look up at Bear with furrowed brows. He does? I don't understand. He sighs before opening his mouth to speak.

"My biological father was the same way. He would hit and rape my mother and sometimes hit me. I remember being hospitalized when I was five-years-old because he knocked me out. I couldn't say a damn thing to anybody. My mother left him when I was eight, and after three years she remarried. I grew up hating and wanting to get revenge on my biological father. I wanted to kill him for the things he did to my mother."

"D-did he ever come back," I asked slightly frightened.

"No, he never did. A few years later he died of a heart attack. I didn't feel a thing for him either."

Tears fill my eyes as his words register in my head. His father hit him? The one person who was supposed to be an example for him and be somebody he could trust was a monster. I could see the tears in Bear's eyes as well.

"Is that why you're afraid to be angry?"

"I'm afraid I'll end up just like him. It became more prevalent back at the party. I snapped when I saw that guy touching you, and when he hit you I lost it. I didn't even know who he was yet. I reminded myself so much of my father in that moment."

"You'll never be like him. I know that for a fact. You are so kind and gentle. You don't hurt anybody unless you have to. That's the difference. You use your strength to protect the people you care about, not hurt them."

Bear places his hand on the side of my face. We stare into each other's eyes, sharing our pain. He pulls me in for a deep kiss and I let myself melt into him. I let all of my worries and frustrations go.

"I love you so much, Yrsa."

"I love you more, Bear."