Chapter 27 - Yrsa's POV

My eyes flutter open. The lights blind me as I adjust to my surroundings. What happened? Did I pass out? I try to get up but a hand on my shoulder stops me.

"Babygirl, you need to rest."

I turn my head towards the voice, but I can only see a blurry outline. I relax into the bed, not having another choice. Something feels off. Maybe it's the fact that I passed out.

"How's Lillie doing," I ask, my voice groggy.

"Really, that's what you're worried about."

That's when my eye shoot open. Bear wouldn't respond like that. That's definitely not his voice either. I turn my head and realize who's next to me. Him.

"What the hell are you doing here," I ask.

"To finish what I fucking started," he says as he raises his fist at me.

I close my eyes as I flinch away from him. My blood runs cold as I hear the click of a gun. I slightly open my eyes to see Bear with a gun in his hands. A wave of relief washes over me, but only for a second.

"You fucking touch her and you're dead," Bear says with hot-blooded anger in his eyes.

"Go ahead," he says as he puts me in a chokehold, "She'll die too," he says as he squeezes his arm tightly.

"I will put a bullet right through your fucking head," Bear yells.

"Like I said, 'go ahead'. Do it you fucking pussy. I'll make sure she goes out with me."

His arm is quickly replaced with a scalpel to my throat. He yanks my head back so my neck is on full display. I want to breathe, but I'm terrified to move even an inch. I look to Bear with tears in my eyes.

That's when the door busts open. I see three men I've never met before come into the room. I feel a sharp pain across my throat. I gasp as he lets go of my hair. My hand immediately goes to my throat. It feels like he didn't slice too deep, but it still hurts like hell.

In a quick flash, the three men have him cornered and Bear is at my side. He picks me up and takes me out of the room. I'm confused about who those men are. Does Bear know them?

"Yrsa, let me see your neck."

I drop my hand from my neck. It's covered in blood. Bear has an angry look on his face, but I know his anger isn't directed at me. He brings me into the room that Lillie's in. Mom sees me and lets out a gasp. Bear places me on the extra hospital bed. Mom quickly rushes to my side as Bear goes to find a nurse.

It doesn't take long for him to come back. The nurse cleans my wound, which hurt like a bitch. She says it's not deep enough for stitches. I'm very thankful for that. She bandages it up and leaves. Bear tells my mom what happened.

"I'm so sorry, sweetie. They wouldn't let me into the room after I answered their questions. Since you're eighteen, I'm not allowed to be in the room without your permission," she says through tears.

"It's okay, mom. I don't blame you. You did what you could."

Mom leaves to get me some juice and snacks. I'm guessing I lost a lot of blood. She comes back with apple juice and teddy grahams. That used to be my go-to snack as a kid. Bear helps me sit up and starts to feed me. I'm so thankful that he's here right now. I don't know what I'd do without him.

After I'm done eating. I decide to lay back down. Bear turns on the TV so I'll be distracted from the pain. I can't even imagine how Lillie must feel right now. Bear lays next to me in the bed. His touch is very gentle, more than usual. I lean into him as he plays with my hair. It's not long after I fall asleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I wake up to commotion in the room. A bunch of people are talking, but I can only make out one voice. Lillie?

"Yrsa! Where's Yrsa? Is she okay?"

"I'm right here, Lil," I yell to her.

Everybody is trying to calm her down. I'm guessing she just woke up. I can tell my voice seems to calm her a bit. She looks over to me and down to the bandage on my neck.

"Did he get you too," she asks, tears brimming her eyes.

"Don't worry about me. Let them take care of you. I'll be right here when you get back from testing."

"Okay, I love you."

"I love you too."

The doctor and a couple nurses wheel Lillie out of the room. Mom leaves with them. I turn to look at Bear. He smiles at me, but I can see the sadness in his eyes. I give him a kiss on the cheek. I know he must blame himself for this.

"I'm so sorry," he whispers.

"Bear, it's not. . ."

"Please, don't say that. It is my fault. I should've made sure somebody was with you. I should've made sure he didn't follow us. I'm also sorry you had to see me like that."

"Bear, there's nothing you could say or do to make me love you less. You did your best to protect me and that's all I could ever ask for."

I see a tear fall from Bear's eyes. I've never seen him this upset. I cup his face and kiss him deeply. He pulls me closer to him as he lets the tears fall. We stay like this for a few minutes, letting each other be vulnerable but feel safe.

Bear puts his finger under my chin. He gently moves my head to look up at him. The tears in his eyes still flowing, but it's not sadness anymore. I can't really tell what he's feeling.

"I'm in love you, Yrsa Rose Mallory."

My heart skips a beat.

"I'm in love with you too, Bjorn Theodore Mason."

Author's Note:
I'm so sorry it took me so long to update! School has been kicking my ass. It's also my birthday and I'm going out of town this weekend, so there's a lot of stress rn. Thank you all so much for 33k reads! I hope you enjoyed the update! ☺️