Chapter 12: Ability Conflict

YOUR FUTURE SELF'S POV

"Your ability's natural??" She gasped loudly. Taking it as an opportunity, I threw a popcorn right in her mouth to which she catched steadily and acted as if it's a normal daily occurrence. I sigh. There's no denying it anymore. No doubt about it. She's definitely me alright.

"I don't know if it can be referred to as something natural." I shrug. "During that time, I was confused and thought that maybe everything was just a bad dream. But days passed and everything happened just exactly the same as how it went from before so I figured out I must've travelled back in time." I felt lost the first time it happened. I even asked for help and advice but it only caused most of the people around me to be alarmed of my mental condition especially when I lost my parents at an early age and have to strive by my own to live.

Tatsumi was the first person to believe me since I was able to tell him a prediction if that's what you can call it. But since I rewind time, it also includes erasing his memories of me and my ability. Therefore, I have to start from scratch again and convince him. Until the day came that I chose to stay silent and face everything on my own... the day in an alternate timeline where I lost Tatsumi for Mikey.

"But there was one problem." She raised her brows and watched me intently.

"What is?"

"I can't go back to my original timeline. Therefore, I don't exactly leap from time. I figured out I can only rewind which means, I live back in my childhood until the day I become an adult and will be able to trigger my ability again. That is if I'm not satisfied with the future that I got and I still have the strong desire to change the outcome." It took me quite a long time to realise that I can rewind time. After two to three attempts, to be precise. And it only works only if I have the desire to change the future. When my desire faltered before, I wasn't able to activate it until I was faced by Mikey, himself that managed to beat some sense into me. "My ability also has its conditions. I can only rewind to the day where the root cause is about all that happened. And I can't activate it when it hasn't been ten years yet after my last rewind."

The young Y/N in front of me started coughing and tapped her chest multiple times as I handed her the glass of water. After drinking the water, she turned to me with wide eyes.

"You're that old??" Now it's my turn to cough. I really appreciate that she's giving me her full attention and listens to every word I say but for her to get caught up in that thought...

"I am NOT old! I told you I live again in my childhood which means I become a kid again once I rewind." My lips turned into a small pout. I'm not that old yet... right? There's no way...

Argh! Now that she mentioned it, it's already starting to mess up with my head.

"So your ability isn't time traveling?" She asked while glancing to the side with a frown. My weird habit when concentrating. I nod at her question.

"I am only able to rewind the past." She bopped her head many times before meeting my gaze.

"So is this your second time rewinding?" I pursed my lips at this. If only I didn't lose track of my number of attempts. Would that even make a change though? Of course, no.

"No."

"Then?" She pushed and I shrug my shoulders at her.

"I don't remember anymore. I can no longer count how many times I've rewinded back in time." Her eyeballs were about to pop out when she heard my response.

"You've been doing this many times?!" I raised my brows at her, confused before nodding my head as an answer. At this, she covered her mouth with her palm with s shocked expression before mumbling something under her breath to which didn't fail to reach my ears.

"Granny."

I quickly grabbed the nearest pillow and threw it at her with force. I don't care if I'm more than ten years older than her, I believe in equality. My younger self seriously needs some ass beating. No wonder Tatsumi always pinches my ears before. I think I actually deserve it. How could he even deal with me at this age?? I'm kinda annoying, not gonna lie.

She only glare at me when some popcorns fell on the floor because of the pillow that I threw at her.

"Why are you even rewinding that much?" She's finally asked the question and I sighed out loud.

"That's the problem. As what I've said, I've been doing it nonstop throughout the years and never once have I been satisfied with the results. My only goal is to let Mikey live a peaceful life in the future. To be able to help him and not disappoint him the way I did the first time. But no matter what I do and no matter how many times I do it, Mikey would always end up on the bad side." I clench my fists. I've never been this dedicated to helping someone before.

I guess I really became a sucker for him, huh?

Weirdo.

"I always fail him." I don't know what it is that keeps getting in my way of fulfilling my goal but I can't waste this chance given to me. There must be a reason why I'm sent to this timeline physically and didn't allow me to just rewind. "Due to the trauma I felt and the severe depression that I got for straight up failing and witnessing the same scene and the same outcome that only ended up getting worse from time to time, I gave up on him... again."

In one of the most recent timelines I came, I refrained from using rewind because I've shown clear life threatening symptoms of my condition. Not only did my mental state went down, I wasn't doing well physically as well as I made many attempts to get myself in danger to force my ability to activate.

"I wasn't only weak physically and mentally. I was also weak emotionally. I was weak for not being able to save him after so many attempts. It felt like I was only worsening the future." I look down on the floor, feeling my depressing thoughts cloud my mind again. I don't know how to stop it anymore. These thoughts and scenes I've witnessed before continued to haunt me everyday. I still need to stay strong for this final chance.

"So instead of rewinding, I let everything play on the hands of fate and didn't try to meddle with him anymore." In my last, I followed the old path. The first route for us, thinking it's better this way than to cause more problems in trying to meddle with him and going against what's supposed to happen. I've decided I won't ever use my rewind again and chose to live on my own and pursue my dreams.

I felt happy at some point in my life but the emptiness and missing piece in me will forever disturb me.

Well, that is until that night I came home from a mission at work that I got to see him again.

"But that was until one night I was walking at the city after work."

"There was a loud commotion on the road."

___________
Author's Note:
Granny 🙊