Chapter 20: A Surprising Turn

YOUR POV

I entered the house, welcoming myself in but there was no response. I called out to Mirai only to receive silence all throughout the whole house. Is she not home yet? Just where did she go this time? As soon as I'm done taking off my shoes, I walk into the living room, checking if she isn't home yet.

For a moment, I stare at the empty room for some reason feeling a presence with me but saw no one. Suddenly when I blinked my eyes, I was greeted by two legs resting on top of the couch's headrest, swaying back and forth.

I could've sworn there was nothing there at my first look.

"Mirai!! Uhhh—What are you doing??" Confused, I made my way to the side to see her lying upside down with her head hanging at the end of the seat. She was staring into space until I blocked her vision and she snapped out of it.

"I'm trying to think!" She pulled her hair and sat up, crossing her legs as she face me.

"What a weird way of thinking... Is it effective though?" Since when did I learn to think like that? Should I try doing that though? I mean... I'm really having a hard time catching up on the school lessons nowadays.

"Y/N!!" I jumped in surprise when I heard her shout my name.

"Whaaatt??" I glare at her. I didn't realise I was already getting lost in thought but she could've at least called out to me in a much calmer way. What has gotten into her anyway? She looked troubled.

"So I had a talk with Kouta earlier." Oh yeah, I remember clearly. Kouta looked serious earlier too. I wouldn't have known what could've happened if she was caught.  "Arghh! This is probably because I got out of the house and he saw me!" She once again pulled on her hair harshly in frustration and I decided to ask.

"What happened?" Seeing her like this, it seems like it's a serious matter to discuss. Did what happen earlier can cause a bad change for the future? But we didn't get caught, right? So why is she so frustrated all of a sudden?

She raised her head, biting on her nails as she stare up at me. I waited for her response and raised brows. There was a very long pause. Too long that it's starting to make me feel nervous. I frown and was about to protest when she opened her mouth to add in a fast manner.

"He wants you to be Rashomon's next commander."

Her words didn't fully processed on my mind but I instantly nod my head as if keeping the conversation going. That is until I realised what she just said.

"Oh that's gre—wait... HUH??!"

Commander?? Rashomon?? Me??

I know I've been constantly bugging Tatsumi to give me permission to join Rashomon as an official member but I never asked to be a leader. Hell, I only enjoy fighting that's why I wanted to join. And what's with Kouta now?? Why would he choose me of all people to be nominated as the next commander??

"I know!" Mirai flail her arms and leaned back on the couch.

I grew silent at her reaction. Wait a minute... This is a legit shocking news to me because I only just found out about this. But how come she's reacting as if she didn't see this coming?

With a confused look, I sat beside her while still facing her figure.

"What do you mean?? Why are you acting like this? Don't you come from the future? Shouldn't you know about this already?" I crossed my arms and raised my brow at her judgementally. Oh no, I'm not doubting her. She got my trust since day one. I'm just hella confused at her at this moment. She looked at me with her eyes squinting.

"Duh! Would I react like this if this has already happened in the past?" She sarcastically responded and I scratched my head, knowing she's right.

"You got a point but what in the world..." why did this happen?  "The hell happened?" I asked, giving her my full attention and she shrugged her shoulders, unsure.

"I'm trying to think why this didn't happen before. And if will you even accept it?" She looked at me from the side and my throat went dry for a moment. Will I accept it? Mirai obviously don't know the answer to that and it's clear she hasn't faced this matter yet before. If this is a first and might be our last chance... then what should we do? "Because if you don't, then that explains Rashomon's disbandment."

Disbandment.

I've heard about the news from Tatsumi that Kouta is leaving soon and that Rashomon is threatening to fall apart without a leader candidate. I don't want it to happen. I don't want Rashomon to disband. They became my family since I met them and they treated me the same. I don't want them to go on a different path. I want Rashomon to continue as a gang and become a huge group one day at the top.

But...

"I don't know. I'm not sure if the members are okay with that and I don't think I'm ready to lead a gang when I've never been in one." I don't know if I'm the right person for that. I don't want to disappoint them and I don't want to look like I've overthrown the guy we looked up to so much. Kouta has done a lot for the gang and everyone respects him for that.

Rashomon isn't the way it is now if not because of him.

"Yeah but... There must be a good reason why Kouta chose you, right? Though I find 'being friends with everyone in the gang' reasonable enough for you to be taken in as a leader on the spot." Mirai placed a finger on her chin, thinking deeply to herself as her eyes wandered to the side.

She's right. I am friends with the members of the gang but I can't be sure they all want me to be their leader—an outsider. There should still be boundaries set or standards rather for such position.

"But why me of all people?" Kouta, just what were you thinking? What will the people think once I accept it? I'm not even a member of Rashomon... just an outsider who tags along.

"The rest of the captains declined. He believes that the rest trust you to be their commander. Even Tatsumi the vice commander rejected the thought of it." Mirai said and I purse my lips. Do the members already know about this? But are they really okay with it? I don't think Tatsumi will say yes though. He's been really trying to make me avoid fighting too much.

"Ooookay..? So what now?" I asked, unsure of what to say now. Surely, Mirai knows what to do... right?

She looked at me in seriousness.

"I'm scared of what might happen in the future but..." she shrug her shoulders. "I'll do something about it and I promise I'll help you with whatever outcome is laid out." I release a sigh of relief. As long as she'll help me then I shouldn't worry. She has more experience and knowledge than I do.

And even when we still act a lot like each other, I can feel that this version of myself sitting beside me is a lot more mature than I think. I can see clearly that she's been through a lot and I want to trust her on this.

"I already asked Kouta for time to think so take it. Tomorrow I'll go around and try to find the reason why this didn't happen before and if you should accept it." I nod my head continuously at her, letting her decide on it. I'm so used to being followed all the time that I feel weird having to listen to someone attentively like this. Well, she's still me anyway so I'm basically just following my own self decisions at this point.

However, a thought crossed my mind making me frown.

"Will you be alright on your own? We almost got caught today, you know!" I crossed my arms and gave her a judging look. Why did she even get out of the house today? She didn't tell me anything about it nor did she plan something today.

Was she following me?

She jumped and looked at me guiltily before clapping her hands together in front, bowing her head slightly apologetically.

"I'm sorry! I will be careful next time. Besides I've been pretty good at this pretend game." She winked at me as if she doesn't doubt herself one bit and I sighed before shrugging.

Well, she knows what she's doing.

"Uh-huh? Suit yourself."