Chapter 1 - Crossing Over

"My dearest disciple. Have you finished reading all the novels I gave you?"

"... Yes. Master." Luo Mingli had paused very noticeably when answering his master's question.

However, his master acted as if he hadn't noticed and smiled very nicely. "Ming'er is so studious and diligent listening to master. You're truly the best disciple I've ever had."

Luo Mingli couldn't help his lips curling up into a kind smile, "I'm your only disciple master."

Then he added, "If you accept any other disciple, I would certainly teach them well as their shixiong."

Although Luo Mingli spoke plainly, his master could still pick up the underlying meanings. His master looked at him with a type of gaze that was hard to describe.

"I know Ming'er would teach well. But this master has no plans to accept another disciple for now."

"Yes master." Luo Mingli was very obedient.

To what's known in public, Luo Mingli was known to be a gentle and refined person who wouldn't get angry even when scolded in public and was considered one of the best tempered genius' in the jianghu.

His strength was so heaven defying that nobody in his generation could compete against. Not only was his character good, attracting bees and butterflies everywhere, even his talent and skills could pierce through the heavens.

Learning the six arts only showcased his versatility and there was no shortage of songs of praise over the lands.

However, his master knew Luo Mingli very well and couldn't help giving him another look, his voice was a bit more serious. "Ming'er, it's not good to be overconfident. You must never become complacent or inflate the ego for a single misstep can deviate your path."

"You know me so well master. Thank you for your teachings." He smiled very sincerely. "I learnt it from you."

His master, "..."

Luo Mingli chuckled softly and brought a silvery white flute out. It appeared very simple yet elegant, the embellishments were minimal but the intricate patterns held a unique appearance.

"This disciple will play a song for master."

Seeing no rejection, the flute was placed near his lips as he began playing.

As soon as the melody floated into the air, a sense of melancholy washed over the land. It was slow, sometimes mellow, sometimes soft like the brushing of a leaf falling from the tree branch in autumn.

When it reached the middle, the wind suddenly changed as the pace of the melody increased. A feeling of unease and desperation clung down the body and cast grey clouds over the mountains, treating to spill its tears down on a torrent.

The turbulent emotions within the melody were so soul catching, breathing became difficult. Like a drop falling into an ocean, the melody dropped down to the heart, causing a mild tremor within.

When it reached near the end, the wild and almost heart wrenching wails thinned into a single sweet yet bitter tone. A last trace of sound was swept into the passing of the wind, like the passings of time, injuries would heal.

Luo Mingli's eyes opened gently, revealing his green pupils and looked at his master's face. He set the flute down.

His master looked at him full of approval and clapped. "You've improved again."

"It's thanks to master's teachings."

"Don't be so humble. I already know how you think of yourself." His master grumbled.

Luo Mingli pretended to not understand. "Master, how could I not be humble when all my skills have been taught by you."

His master didn't bother arguing and looked at his disciple's face.

Luo Mingli was a peerless beauty. Peach blossom eyes with its own unique curve, his skin was flawless as jade and appeared almost translucent and lips as smooth as silk and pouty. Even his fingers were more beautiful than a flower.

His long back hair fell like strands of silk, and looked incredibly soft.

With a solemn and dignified tone, Luo Mingli's master stood poised and serious.

"Ming'er. You will face the most life changing tribulation and if you pass it safely, you will prosper into a fortuous life. But if you fail, a path of thorns and hardships, equivalent to heaven's obtrusion, will become your new life."

Hearing his master's words, Luo Mingli raised his brow in question.

"Master, is this one of your divinations?"

"Of course!" then he added. "It will happen on your birthday which is just in two days."

"Master, how can I die from a tribulation?" Luo Mingli was slightly disdainful as he spoke. "I'm already at the Immortal ascension realm and I have so many treasures and artifacts to protect myself. And master is here with me, what could go wrong?"

All his master did was sigh and tried to comfort his disciple while scolding slightly. "Being an immortal ascension realm master doesn't mean that you can't die! It just means it's harder to die. Tribulations are called tribulations for a reason, it is a test and just because you've passed by them all easily doesn't mean every one of them will be the same. Your master has babied you too much."

Luo Mingli smiled plainly." A master spoiling his disciple is natural. Just like a mother's love towards their child, each to one's own love brought forth like a gush of spring water. "

The master,"..." Good good. Good to see this shameless disciple of his doesn't need any worry.

Even so, he still decided to say, "But don't worry, this master has taught you everything you need to know. When you face the difficult path, it will be much easier. Remember all those novels I made you read?"

"... Yes." Luo Mingli replied slowly.

"Good child! They will be extremely useful so be sure to remember them."

Luo Mingli didn't show his thoughts but inwardly, he was thinking, "Those novels are quite... unique."

Although he didn't know the point of them, or the reasoning behind those novels, Luo Mingli kept in mind his master's words. Remembering a few horrible books wasn't hard anyways.

Then, his master looked at Luo Mingli again and spoke with a bit more enthusiasm. "And you may meet your fated person! Your master hopes you can have your spring time and introduce them to me so I can bless you both."

Luo Mingli, "..."

After that, his master left and Luo Mingli went back to doing his own thing.

Two days passed by very quickly and during this time, Luo Mingli was busy concocting a Heavenly level pill.

When the pill was almost formed, dark clouds formed above Luo Mingli. There was a dragon-like roar rumbling through the skies as a range of thunders struck down with a force carrying monstrous power overturning the heavens.

Without any warning or hardships, it burned down and incinerated every part of his body. Even the barriers he set up couldn't protect him and was torn down ruthlessly without any resistance.

Luo Mingli's consciousness faded abrubtly and his entire being was gone.

_________