24- Tulips

Thalia's POV
-

"Mic check... 1, 2, 3," Artemis's voice echoed throughout the field. 

Zoe, Bianca, and the rest of The Hunters were fiddling with their instruments, making sure they were set correctly. I had already set my electric guitar and mic, and were waiting for the rest to run the set. 

I took a look around. It was a big, open, stretch of land, in the front, with seatings on the hillside. It was no doubtably the biggest stage I've ever performed in. Goode could definitely not compare to this. And, to think that I wouldn't get here last year. The field only had organizers and workers getting their tasks done, but I could already imagine the crowd. It was a fever dream, and I wouldn't want to wake up anytime soon. 

"Nervous?" Zoe gave me a nudge on the shoulder. 

I shrugged. "Surprisingly, not really. It's more of adrenaline."

She nodded, twirling her drumsticks with her fingers. "I remembered my first crowd wasn't like this at all. It was at a nursing home, playing for the elderly who either sang with me or couldn't be bothered and prepared for the next bingo game." 

"Better than mine. It was just Jason."

"Your dad doesn't know about this huh?" her eyebrow raised. Artemis, on the corner of my eye, was singing a couple of notes, while the sound crew was fixing with the mic. 

I pursed my lips. "Nope... and I'm not planning to let him know anytime soon."

"It's been 2 years, Thalia. Is he really still worked up about you joining us?" 

"He's so persistent into having me take over," I said. "Jason is literally right there to take over for him."

"Let's hope that Artemis will let you stay." She extended her hand into a fist bump, and I bumped it back. "Goodluck later."

I nodded and got right into my headspace, as we did our rehearsals. 

_____

Rehearsals just finished, and let's just say that I did pretty well. After saying bye to my bandmates and Artemis, I made my way to my car to meet up with the rest of the crazy bunch at Mark's place. 

I sighed. What drama awaits me there now?

Before I could get into my car, a hand had stopped me from opening the handle. I jumped, ready to drop kick anyone, until I saw who it was. Luke. 

"Were you trying to get kicked in the nuts?" I told him, scrunching my eyebrows in annoyance. 

Luke smiled. He wore straight, dark blue jeans that were ripped at the knees; a thick, yellow-colored hoodie, a silver earring on one ear, and white shoes. "What? Can I not surprise you after your first performance?"

"It's just rehearsals, and you know to not sneak up on me like that."

"I'll still count it as your first ever performance. And, that would defeat the whole purpose of surprise." He playfully poked me on my side. I just stared at him unamused.

"Anything else, Luke?" 

He scratched the back of his neck, like he was embarrassed. "Oh, and um, I wanted to give you this, too. To you know, celebrate."