12- Out of the Picture

Annabeth's POV
_

Percy had left Luke and I amongst ourselves, while he handled some business with some of his team for a little bit. With Percy and his team gathered at the other end of the room, crowding near a piano, table, and sofa, Luke led me to the bean bags, next to the table filled with empty beer cans and a mini fridge.

Luke plopped down on one of the beanbags, reaching for the fridge. "Do you want anything?"

I got comfy on the other beanbag. "Water," I said, looking at the beer cans and picking one of them up to shake and see if they were empty. They were. "All yours?" I pointed at the beers.

Fishing out a water bottle and a Sprite, Luke shook his head and combed back his blonde hair. "Gods, no. I would be dead. That's me and Perce. Well, 1 for me, rest is his." he said casually, handing me the water.

When he wasn't looking, I silently counted the beer cans. I might have been making a big deal out of this whole alcohol situation or acting strait-laced, but there were 6 bottles, all empty, on the table. I know that Luke can drink. I've seen him get drunk before he was even legal to drink. He would take some of his dad's wine and bring some to parties, which (may I say) is the classiest choice of beverage to bring at a high school party. He developed a tolerance and understanding of how much is too much, but it's not him I'm worried about.

I shouldn't be butting my head in other people's business, especially if it's someone whom I should not be talking to or at least be in contact with, but I can't help it. Percy never drank during our relationship. Even told me he would never drink because of Gabe. Granted he did lie to me who he really was at Goode, but he never touched a drink. He avoided it as much as possible. Now, look what happened. People can change. I just wondered when he started.

Why should I care? My inner devil said. It's been 2 years. He obviously changed.

It's not like him to pick up a drink, let alone six cans, my angel battled. Did this happen after our breakup?

I shook my head. What kind of a question was that? It shouldn't matter what I think. He still accused me of cheating and had no trust in me. If it doesn't matter, then why am I concerned? My thoughts raced, and I opened the water to chug it all.

"Annabeth," Luke interrupted the war in my head. "I know it's been years, but I'm sorry for the things I did in the past. I never wanted to hurt you."

"Hmmm?" I stopped chugging. "Uh, yeah. Luke, honestly, it's been years. We were kids, and I don't understand why we were so invested in it. I see you as a sibling."

Luke placed his hand over his heart and feigned a hurt expression. "Ouch, Chase. That hurt."

I threw the water bottle at him. He caught it. I smiled, "You're the one who said that to me a while ago."

He threw the bottle back at me, but I dodged it. "Good. I thought we had to sit here in awkward silence. Honestly though, we dated?" Luke smiled. That same smile that I used to swoon over years ago, but now, it's more of a friend's smile that I missed seeing.

"It feels crazy, and it felt like eons ago," I replied, trying to wrap my head around that thought. "What I can't get over is that you cheated on me with Rachel?"