9- Silver Lining

Thalia's POV
_

New York
2 months ago...

"Is my dad here?" I asked, blankly staring at the chubby, brown-haired receptionist, placed right outside the elevators. He was jittery and forced a small smile.

Looking bewildered, he asked, "I'm sorry? Who is asking?"

I glanced at his uniform: a typical black suit with a blue tie. Near his breast-pocket was his name tag: Larry. Folding my hands on the desk, I replied, "Well, Larry, I'm Thalia. Thalia Grace. Daughter of Zeus, the CEO of this company. So, if you don't mind answering the question, is my dad here?"

With my all-black get-up of a leather jacket, tee, ripped jeans, and combat boots (oh and my spiked hair), his eyes glossed over me, suspiciously. I could see beads of sweat run down his forehead. I rolled my eyes and glanced over at a security guard to my left.

"Larry, she's alright. Let her through," the security guard announced. He gave a quick nod to me. I gave a small smirk back. "Sorry, he's new."

"Sorry about that Ms. Grace," he said, fumbling with the computer, "He is on the 60th floor. About to come out of a meeting in conference room B."

"Thanks, Lar," I smiled, passing him to reach the elevators. I pressed the 60th button and stood there listening to the awful music. Reaching into my pocket, I took out a small, silver card. The words, The Hunters, with their emblem, bow and arrow; and moon, was etched onto the card. I turned the card over and reread the message:

We'd love for you to join us soon. We hope you decide well, Thalia.
-Artemis and Hunters

The elevators opened, and I took a deep breath and tucked the card back into my pocket. A few formally-dressed people gave me stiff nods, as I passed by. Once I reached conference room B, I hesitantly opened the door.

It was quiet. The room was already rid of people besides Dad, who sat at the head of the oval table, clicking away at his laptop. The room overlooked Central Park, with rays of sunshine peeking through the windows, making their marks in the dimly-lit room. I walked with confidence towards him, already having an idea of what to say.

"Good you're here," he said, "I wanted to go over some preparations for your-"

"Actually, I want to talk to 'bout something else," I slid the silver card to him, "about this."  He picked it up with care, as if it will trigger an explosive. His steely, blue eyes read the card front and back.

"What is this?" he asked, forgetting about his computer and holding the card up in the air. The card glinted as a small ray of sunshine hit the metallic color.

I crossed my arms. "I'm joining The Hunters," I said.

He drew a scoff. "You know you can't. This company stays within the family. I am not letting any other person handle this company."

"Hell, hand it to Jason!" My voice grew. "I'm sure he'd love this position."

The slap of the computer being closed echoed around the room. "I want both of you to inherit equal power over this," he gestured to the room.