6- Intertwined

Percy's POV
_

"Hold her hand," Jonah said.

That one phrase made me want to jump and scream. This is ridiculous, I thought, People who'll believe this are either delusional or plain crazy.

Rachel stared at me, waiting for me to take her hand and hold it in an affectionate way. Everyone- Jonah, Grover, and the rest of my team and Rachel's- expected that holding her hand will somehow, magically, we'll have this special chemistry and bond. Like this problem would be solved.

I took a good look at her hand. Did she wash her hands? Does she have poison with her? I made a couple excuses in my head, even though I could care less about a couple of disease-bringing germs.

Reluctantly, I placed my hand on top of hers. Not even holding hers. I mean, the palm of my hand was facing up, while the back of my hand was placed on her palm. They all blinked, not understanding what the hell was going on with me.

"Can you intertwine your hands with hers?" Jonah said. Usually, I love Jonah and his work, but, in that moment, my mind was screaming: Fire him!

I did what he asked, and intertwined my hand with Rachel's. I gave it a few seconds before quickly taking back my hand from her strong grip. The thought of holding hands and pretending to be "in love" with the girl whose messed with mine and Annabeth's senior year, just made my stomach churn. What made my stomach churn was how far they- Jonah and the rest- are willing to go with this stunt. How far was I willing to go?

Am I willing enough to go as far as lying to my fans? To the media? The entire world? To Annabeth? I thought. Or am I willing enough to not do this and risk my job?

My head was in twists, like a pretzel- a deformed one. I hated myself for actually considering this. Grover looked at me with pure sympathy. Whenever Grover does that, I know that what they're trying to make me do is right. Even though it doesn't sound right, some of the people need me or their salary will be a dollar bill.

Jonah stood up and examined Rachel and I. "The press will be tracking your every move and asking questions. Your job is to convince them that Annabeth Chase was the past."

I scrunched my eyebrows. "I thought this was about Mark."

Jonah opened his mouth, but Grover interrupted him, as if it was his way of showing that Jonah said enough. "It is, but if the focus is more on you two and Annabeth, then the media will put Mark on the side."

I decided to keep my mouth shut, in case they get any ideas. With that, Jonah clasped his hands together and grinned. "Let's convince them, shall we?"

_

As everyone had said, Starbucks was everywhere in Downtown San Francisco. I mean, there's literally a Starbucks on almost every block. I don't know whether people here are hard working, sleep deprived, or both. I can't blame them. I would do the same thing too.

After the meeting ended, I needed a quick pick-me up to help me stay awake for the rest of the day. Being forced- I mean, asked- to hold Rachel's hand, have a "normal" conversation, putting my hand on her waist, and other ridiculous things, it took the energy out of me. That girl seriously has a strong grip! She could be dangling on the edge of hell's cliff and not fall in.

Grover reluctantly handed me his favorite yellow and orange hat. With my black hoodie and black sunglasses, the hat made me stand out more than I thought I would.

I handed the hat back to Grover. "Why do you even have this hat?"

He shrugged and held his hat tight. "Everyone has a lucky sock... this is my lucky sock, but not a sock."

I smiled at his antics. After carefully putting my hoodie on and my glasses, I opened the van door and made my way to the nearest Starbucks, which was in either corner of that block. The smell of caffeine and the sight of laptops everywhere  is almost the trademark of Starbucks, if you don't count Peet's Coffee.

Waiting in line, I tried to find something to occupy myself. I searched through the entire store and looked at people's faces. I didn't even know what I was trying to look for. All I knew was that my eyes roamed frantically everywhere.

"Sir, can I get you anything?" The girl behind the counter asked. I told her my order, still distracted.

"Can I have your name please?" She asked.

I said the name that first popped up in my head. "Peter." She nodded, and I waited at the pick-up counter. It took a while for my order to come, but before my order came, the bartender called out a name.

"Annabeth... Annabeth."

My eyes looked everywhere, and when it stopped, it landed on a familiar girl with a blonde ponytail and grey eyes. She must've not noticed who I was because she passed right by me and grabbed her cup. A part of me wanted to say, "Hi." Then I thought, that that was stupid and just stay where I was. My eyes wandered back to her, when she made her way to her table filled with papers, laptop, and coffee. I don't know why, but I chuckled when I noticed that she took up two tables just for her papers.

"-ter... Peter," the bartender said. I said my quick thanks and grabbed my cup. I was ready to walk out the door, when my mind completely changed. Sitting at a table and drinking my coffee with shades, made me look like a douche from afar. It might've felt stalkerish, but my table was a couple down from Annabeth's. I could see her- chewing on her pencil, furiously erasing things on her paper, and drinking her coffee- from where I sat.

When I was staring at her direction, I didn't know she felt someone looking at her. I didn't know that she saw me looking at her. That was until she snapped me out of it.

"Why were you staring at me?" She appeared right in front of me with her arms crossed and stared daggers at me.

___

Another update! Percy and Annabeth are in the same chapter (sort of)! Finally!

First off, it's a bit late but I hope anyone who's affected in Hurricane Harvey to be careful. I send my best wishes to everyone who's affected.

Second off, I'm starting to do some shoutouts to people who've been supporting this book. Shoutouts will happen to every chapter. Thank you guys so much!

Shoutout of the chapter goes to: @LunarWiseGirl 💙

Third, for anyone who's wondering about my new and upcoming book, I am currently deciding on a release date. I don't have a set date yet, but I'm hoping it'll be this or next month. Hopefully. I have some previews that I might give you guys.

Thank you so much for reading this chapter. I'm open to any CCs, suggestions, etc.. I hope all of you stay for more of this book and for my future projects.

I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THE CHARACTERS EXCEPT MARK, DAVID, AND JONAH.

You all know the drill. Please, vote and comment. 💙

-Brainy_dolphin <3