Chapter 1: The last shot

Christy POV

The score was 70-68. We were down by 2 and there was 5 seconds left in the game. We were playing our school rival, the Dawson Spartans, and if we won this game, we would've had an undefeated season and clinched first place in our division. 3 of our starters were fouled out compared to 2 of the Dawson players fouling out. I took a sip of water as our coach drew up a play for us. I was to get the ball and drive in for a lay-up.

The ref signaled that the time out was over.

"Okay Rebels on three." I said while extending my arm out into the middle of the huddle.

"One, two, three"

"REBELS!" The team yelled.

As I waked on the court, the crowd was going crazy. We were playing in a full college sized court. The rivalry of our school was so intense the district had to rent out a basketball arena to fit in our games. The left half of the arena was full of Georgetown Rebel fans chanting rebels while the Dawson Spartan fans were on the right half chanting Spartans.

The ref blew the whistle to begin and we broke from our line formation cutting to different areas of the court. I ran up to the top of the court as my defender trailed then suddenly cut toward the basket. The ball flew through the air and I caught it in mid air and I shot it while still in the air. Just before the ball left my fingers, a girl came up to me and knocked me to the side while still in the air. I ended up still getting a shot up but falling on the floor. I heard whistles being blown like crazy and the crowd erupt into cheers and boos. Suddenly I was bombarded by my teammates who were on the court. They helped me up and I saw my team's bench jump up and down. The crowd was going crazy.

"YOU DID IT CHRISTY! YOU TIED THE SCORE!" My teammate Amber said while helping me up.

The announcer was telling the crowd to calm down since everyone was screaming at the refs.

"Settle down! We have a call by the refs!"

The crowd suddenly stopped screaming all together and listened to what the refs had to say.

"Basket is good. Defensive foul on number 24. Number 11 will shoot one free throw.

The crowd erupted into cheers and boos once again.

I walked up to the free throw line as the crowd continued its screaming. I dribbled the ball a few times and shot it. The crowd held its breath for a moment as it swished through the hoop.

Cheers erupted once again.The Spartans wasted no time and once it went in they inbounded the ball. Once the ball was caught by one of their players, the Spartans called time out right away and there was 3.5 seconds left. We rushed over to our beach while everyone was handing us water.

"Fantastic job Christy, but the game isn't over now. Play the best defense you can. We're almost there. 3 and a half seconds of the best defense you can give. Let's go! Defense on three. One, two, three." The coach preached

'"DEFENSE!" The team chanted.

As soon as we got into our positions, the ref handed the ball to the player and blew the whistle. The person I was supposed to guard cut backwards and I was stopped by a screen for a moment. I stepped around her and saw the pass fly over my head and her catching it. She began to drive into the lane and I sprinted toward her.

As she went up for the lay up and I went up for the block. Then everything was in slow motion. She released the ball as she was in the air and I extended my arm as far as it could go and I swatted the ball right out of the air. She attempted to pretend it was a foul by falling to the floor when she landed.