Chapter 36: Mistakes

Christy's POV

Dinner was awkward. 

Let me rephrase that.

Dinner is still awkward.

All five of us were just sitting there eating dinner while Steph, Maddie, and Katelyn basically gave death glares at Kayla.

Kayla cleared her throat, "Um this lasagna is really good. How'd you make it?"

"Actually we got this for free since the restaurant gave us the wrong order but I think we shouldn't have taken it back." Maddie says and then coughs and stares at Kayla for a second.

"Did anyone try the chicken though? I thought the chicken was lovely." I said trying to change the topic.

"Ah yes the chicken was lovely. Good job at the chicken Steph." Katelyn says, obvious of what Maddie is trying to say.

"Thanks baby. I can't believe we've been together for 2 years baby. 2 years long and faithful." Steph says with a fake smile.

I look over at Kayla and she looks like she wants to cry. She doesn't look happy at all and I could tell she felt ashamed. I go over and grab her hand to reassure her and sort of apologize mentally.

Sure Kayla fucked up and cheated on me but that doesn't give Steph and Maddie the right to do this to Kayla.

Right?

"The salad was quite lovely too." I say trying to divert the conversation again.

"Christy you don't eat salad." Steph says while glancing at me curiously.

I sighed and put my fork down. "I know you guys don't like that Kayla made the mistake she did but I don't think that you should all be taking it all on her. I mean I chose to take her back and it's not fair you're treating her like this."

There was a moment of silence before Kayla spoke up. "Christy you don't have to-"

"I want to. I need to also. You deserve to be treated fairly. Everyone makes mistakes." 

Steph sighed. "She's right. Kayla I may not like you for what you did and I'll probably never forgive you for it but you don't deserve to be treated like that. I'm sorry Kayla."

"I'm sorry too." Maddie muttered without looking up, picking at her food.

Kayla smiled a silent thank you for me.

"So Kayla, you won the championship for the school again I heard." Katelyn says, purposely catching the attention of Steph.

"You did?" Steph asks as her head shoots up to look at her.

"Uh yeah. I scored the last goal." Kayla says, slightly turning red from embarrassment. 

"You mean the winning goal. Tell me about it." Steph says, obviously deeply interested.

"Uh I just scored it after the 88th minute and it was all over."

"She was great." I added in. "The player who played with the most heart out there by far."

"Impressive. Gotta let me see that tape." Steph said as she finished up her salad.

"Are you guys back together officially?" Maddie asks out of the blue.

Kayla looks at me and I look back, unsure myself.

"Ummm well I don't think official, but we're together." I said cautiously. 

"I see." Maddie says and just eats her food.

"Thank you for the meal guys. It was great. Thank you for allowing me to have dinner with you guys again." Kayla said happily.