Chapter 24: Exposure

Christy's POV

I got out of the car and I walked to my locker. I honestly didn't feel anything anymore. I let someone in after they promised they wouldn't hurt me or leave me and now this. Maybe love isn't meant for me. Maybe I gave her too much. Maybe I expected too much.

When I got to my locker, I saw Kayla standing there with a cup of coffee, a flower, and a bagel.

I ignored her presence and mumbled a soft "excuse me" as I walked in front of my locker.

Kayla stepped to the right but she didn't leave.

"What do you want?" I spat out bitterly.

Kayla's whole body tensed before speaking. She had never experienced this side of me. The side that was bitter and hard, extremely cold to the touch. The side that I reserved for certain people in my life. "Christy, can we please talk?" she said softly.

"I don't have anything to say."

"Come on, I brought you coffee and a bagel please babe I-" She pleaded.

"Don't babe me. I'm not your babe. I also don't want your coffee or bagel." I turned around while turning away from her and started walking toward my class.

"Please Christy I just need-"

"Need to what? Justify why you fucking cheated on me with Jesse even though you said there wasn't anything going on with you two?" I looked straight into her blue eyes and stared at her. She didn't say anything for a moment since she was drawn in by my sudden eye contact.

"Jesse and I were nothing-"

"Can you please stop fucking saying that? You obviously were willing to ruin our relationship for him, so why do you keep saying that?"

There were tears running down Kayla's face now. I could feel mine piling up in my eyes threatening to spill.

"Please. I just need a second chance." Kayla pleaded as she held on to my arm. I noticed a crowd was forming around us so I decided to just leave her there and go to class.

I was furious at Kayla. I wasn't actually mad, I was more sad and hurt than angry. I let her in. I told her my secrets and I trusted her with my heart. I can't believe she got the best of me and I trusted every word she said cause little did I know, she would rip my heart out and stomp on it in front of me.

The first three periods made my whole day worse. I guess word got around that we broke up pretty quickly people in my classes were talking about how Kayla was single now. It honestly disgusted me how this was how high school was. A couple breaks up and the first thing they talk about is how one of them was single.

Finally the bell rang and I headed to my fourth period. Great. It was the class I had with Kayla. I decided to take my time walking to class so that she wouldn't be able to talk to me before class. It worked cause right when I stepped into class, the bell rung.

I noticed that people were sitting in different seats than usual. Oh god we changed seats.

"Ah how nice of you to join us, Ms. Johnson." Mr. Curtin said. "Your new seat is there, right next to Ms. Owens."

Fucking great.

There was a bunch of whispering and snickers when Mr. Curtin said that and he scolded the class and told them to be quiet.

I walked over to the table and sat down. I scooted my chair as far away from Kayla as possible and paid attention to the lesson.

"It's almost like fate huh?" Kayla whispered with a small smile.