𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢. 𝘩𝘢𝘭𝘧 𝘢 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐖𝐎 — half a heart

━━━━━━━

 𝐈𝐓 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐇𝐀𝐕𝐄 felt relieving to be home, to be back on earth and yet all that Emilia Clemente could feel was utter dread.

 When Tony stepped off the ship would he see Pepper Potts waiting for him? Or was she just ashes on the wind? Would his fellow teammates be waiting for him to return? His closest friends, Rhodey and Happy, she recalled Stark telling her. Would they be there?

 But for Emilia herself, there were very few people who could be anticipating her return. She had secluded herself from people for years and watched so many of her friends leave her behind or die before her very eyes.

 Wong and Bruce; they were all she had left. Even the Masters back in Kathmandu, or even the students within Kamar-Taj; none knew her well enough to be more than acquaintances, allies.

 Her stomach dropped at the thought; if Wong and Bruce had faded away too, she'd have nobody. Nobody to miss her. Nobody to care that she was still alive, and that was what she needed... Because Emilia Clemente had given up.

 She had only just realised how much distaste had flooded her tongue when the young woman had appeared in a halo of golden light; she didn't want to be saved. Emilia wanted nothing more than to drift off in her sleep and finally see Stephen again. She'd see her parents and the friends she'd hurt in her lifetime. The Ancient One would greet her with a sad smile.

 A cold hand grasped her arm, Nebula.

 Emilia did her best to wrench herself free as she shook her head. A wave of dizziness overtook her from that small action alone, "Take Tony first."

 She needed a moment alone.

 Nebula said nothing as she pulled away and turned on her heel, her arms sliding around Tony as she heaved him from his seat. The man stumbled on weak knees and sore ankles and his own head spun as black splotches appeared in his vision.

 He wanted to protest, to demand that Nebula carry Emilia if she had to, but he had to — No, Tony needed to know if Pepper was alright. He had to see her again.

 Emilia let her eyes close as she listened to the clang of their retreating steps against the metal ship. All alone, once more. She had almost expected the floodgates to open when she finally succumbed to the emptiness that clawed at her heart, yet no tears came. Just a dry sob that made her throat ache even more.

 Everything hurt and the numbness of knowing it would soon end had faded. Her face still stung; burns and blisters marred the skin of her cheek and temple. Her eye was still swollen, obscured by a black bruise. Every bone in her body protruded and looked as though they'd soon split through her paper-thin skin. Her complexion had turned a ghostly white and the veins within her body were visible beneath the surface.