𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐯. 𝘨𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘵𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑 — ghosts that linger

━━━━━━━

 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐓𝐔𝐌 𝐒𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐔𝐌 had once brought Emilia endless comfort; the tall building that stood proud at the very centre of Bleecker Street was her home; it was the only place she had settled within after her training at the Kamar-Taj and the events that followed soon thereafter.

 The Sanctum seemed to radiate a sense of solace once one would step through the grand entrance and into its warmth. The deep scent of bergamot permeated the wooden floors and intricate detailing upon the walls. If one concentrated enough, they could catch a waft of fresh tea lined with lemon and honey drifting from the direction of the kitchen.

 Juniper would stem from one of the many rooms lined with books, and Emilia had always been partial to burning sweet-pea-scented candles within the bedroom she shared with Stephen.

 That very room had once been a collection of old silks, crumpled papers and a multitude of dust. Now, however, if one were to take a peek inside they would catch sight of a delightful bedspread the shades of Castleton green, while a few cushions were tossed here and there with a fluffy slate grey throw was teetering off the edge of the bed.

 One side table housed an old leather-bound book and a teacup with the remnants of earl grey nestled at the bottom, whilst the other had a collection of crystals and candles that made the room smell and feel utterly divine.

 But the most captivating part, in Emilia's opinion, was the smattering of photographs strategically placed around the room. One was propped on the side table, another atop the wardrobe, yet another two or maybe even three atop the set of old drawers, and of course, the ones hanging on the walls like stars smeared over a night sky.

 Each depicted grins that were already missed and envied. Every frame protected the fragile smiles of Emilia Clemente and Stephen Strange.

 It should have been a comfort, but now everything was nothing more than a grim and sick reminder of the ghosts lingering within Emilia's mind.

 "I can't go in there," Emilia muttered beneath her breath as she slumped into the passenger seat of a rather flashy car.

 She just couldn't reach out for the handle knowing that the moment she stepped inside the Sanctum there would be no sight of Wong to greet her as he pottered about, likey cursing Stephen under his breath. There would be no sight of him pausing on his warpath to offer that inviting smile as she entered.

 There would be no lingering scent of freshly prepared tea, no sage or juniper clinging to the air like a lifeline.

There would be no Stephen.