26; Summer nightmares

"Sailing on a boat, far away at sea, a beautiful summer dream"

🌿

"It looks fine, we should try it in the water today"

Irene is right. Their boat looks okay. Mainly because it's built out of parts from their old boat, the one that was partly destroyed when Isaac arrived at the island a few days before Irene. He showed his sister where he had come and they spent their entire first day dragging the bigger parts to the Green Bay. Wooden splinters in their hands and hunger in their stomachs didn't bother. Isaac has completely given up on going back too, finally working again after a whole month has reminded him of real life, and he knows it's better not to fall for traps like fake luxury at a fake island with fake people.

Or maybe not, he is constantly asking Irene if she could reconsider, but that doesn't matter.

It's better to work through life, it's better that way because they can trust the people at home.

The boat looks amazing, Isaac thinks. Their old boat was rusty but they have spent the last three days restoring it and building it together again. It should hold, it should be good enough to take them home. Nobody will come after them, Irene knows that. She knows that nobody has left this island for thousands of years, and that she and Isaac will be the first and last ones in a very long time. Nobody will come after them, and if that saddens her, she doesn't think about it.

This boat will take them far, but Irene isn't stupid. She doesn't want to die trying to escape, so they have to be sure. That's why they are trying the boat in the water today, just to make sure that it works. That it doesn't leak. That the sails can take them far enough despite being smaller than they were before. Both of them are hungry, barely any food has been gathered during these days but it's enough too keep them going at least. With a little water, a little food and a lot of determination, Irene is sure that they will make it home. Make it home alive. She's sure.

If only they could leave faster. Every day she feels anxious that the girls from the city will find her, will find them. Surely someone must be looking for her, right? Irene doesn't know whether to be happy or sad about that. Happy that they are coming to save her or sad that she might be found and stopped from leaving.

Isaac's eyes shut close tightly as they push the boat over the sand. It glides a bit harshly but eventually they reach the water. A little cold, salty water splashes up and stains their clothes further. Irene ignores the icy feeling on the bottom of her feet, as Isaac and her have to struggle even more to push the boat away from land. Surely it will float, but if it leaks? The sooner they can leave the better, so if there's anything wrong with the boat, it would be terrible. Isaac groans when his finger slips and scratches his already bruised hand further. It's not their first time restoring and transporting a boat, but it's been awhile since they did anything physical like this.

Finally they have gotten so far that the boat starts floating, and while Isaac catches his breath Irene checks for any leaking. She is careful not to touch too much, afraid of getting splinters from the ruined wood. Lungs burning, Isaac quickly spits into the water to get rid of the bad taste, acid and blood creeping up his throat. He leans over the edge of the boat, feet still in the water and sweat running down his forehead. The storm from a few nights ago is forgotten, replaced by a terrible heat, similar to the one that existed when they first arrived.