29; My first and last

"No matter where I am, even in my dreams, you're the only one for me. I'll risk my life to tell you, there won't be a second chance, you're my last love"

🌿

⚠️ mentions of dead relatives and mourning of dead family members ⚠️

A soft comb brushes through her hair.

Flowers lay in a basket, right next to the soft velvet cushion she is seated on.

They have strong, fresh scents. The gentle sea lavender and bright daphne flower bring the feminine colors, while the red Ranunculus is more bold and outstanding. But in the basket, there is one kind of flower that stands out the most. Euphorbia, a calming, round, peach colored flower with a yellow center. Its leaves are a bright green that greatly contrast the peach of the flower. The euphorbia can also come in darker red shades, but here on the island Irene has only seen the peach kind. It has quickly become her favorite.

That's why they lay in a separate basket. She had to pick one for this special day, and after searching through many old texts and hearing other people's opinions, Irene decided on the Euphorbia. It represents purity, protection and wisdom, a great combination for this bold step forwards. And it's small, yet somehow still very special and eye catching. Irene thought that it also represented her well.

But despite the perfect pick for a flower, Irene doesn't feel any less nervous. She is practically shaking. Nobody else around her seems nervous. They are all calm, gentle with their moves and slow with their words. Happiness, and a certain mysterious feeling has spread across the goddesses city and all the way to the gods city. Today is a very special day. Such a big event hasn't happened in hundreds of years. And although they have had little time to prepare, the entire islands population have done their best to make it work.

The entire city is decorated, with flowers and gold and other things. Everyone has put on their best clothes and placed out their best vases and curtains and rugs. The palace has placed out all of its golden statues and paintings and fine porcelain. Strings of flowers lay over every road and along every house, and the flower of the occasion is the euphorbia, upon Irene's request. It is always the bride who chooses which flower it should be.

Inside a chamber in the temple of Hera, and the palace, Irene has now sat for over twenty four hours. It is important that the bride should not see the other brides, so to say. Here they have washed her hair, washed her body, tailored her clothes and done her makeup for hours. They have no hurry. Dozens of women have been tending to her and Irene has barely said a word since arriving at the palace yesterday, to get ready. Right now they are tending to her hair, combing it, and fixing it. They are only a few hours away and Irene is shaking to the very bone,

She knows that somewhere out there, in their own temples, Ariadne and Thea are also getting ready.

How did it come down to this again?

The girls around her giggle sweetly at some common joke about weddings that was shared between them. It seems like Irene is the only one who is having second thoughts about all of this. Everyone else on the island is excited, joyful, ready to take on the world. They have been nothing but laughing and singing all day, cleaning their homes and cooking food and preparing offerings since the event was announced. The city has never shined like it does today, the white marble looks squeaky clean and the flowers freshly placed or planted.