27; A brave promise

"And then he promised the bravest thing he ever has before"

🌿

"Irene!"

She whips her head around to meet the source of the voice. There they are, the people she has been trying to get away from for the past few days. Standing there like nothing happened. Irene allows herself to feel caught off guard and horrified for the next second, and then she acts. Looking to her left, Isaac stands frozen by the beach, also staring at Ariadne, Thea and the others. Irene recognizes Nadya and Penelope, even Agape among them. What a great reunion, just perfect.

"Isaac! Get over here right now!"

Before anyone can stop him, the younger brother does as he is told. Sprinting across the beach, his feet digging into the sand. He reaches Irene by the time the others have started running towards them. Maybe they are afraid that they will leave with the boat. Irene is starting to think that she should do it. Looking between the boat and the running people, she swears under her breath. Isaac is behind her, holding her shirt and breathing deeply. What will they do? The situation is stressful. Irene doesn't do it though, she doesn't push the boat off shore and doesn't try her hardest to leave. She stays put.

Thea and Ariadne slow down when they notice that Irene isn't leaving. Instead she stands there, glaring at them suspiciously. Now that they are close enough, Ariadne can breathe out in relief, and so can Thea. She's not dead. She's alive. Irene is standing in front of them, healthy and alive, healthy and not gone forever. Even Isaac is here, the emperor will be very delighted, and hopefully stop moping around and screaming at his servants until they shake and cry from fear. But despite not being dead, they don't look very happy to see them.

"Isaac, stay behind me, I'll handle it"

They don't understand what she is saying to her brother. Irene's gaze stays locked on them while she talks, protectively standing in front of Isaac. The younger boy looks troubled, but also manages to glare from behind his sister. They might not be able to overpower them, but they won't go down without a fight. Isaac has fought his sister for staying here, but he won't automatically trust those who have hurt her just because he doesn't want to leave. Ariadne catches her breath before speaking.

"Irene! I'm so sorry for not being able to protect you, but you must come home, please!"

Irene squints and turns to her brother, a sour tone in her voice being the only thing they can understand while she speaks.

"This is what I'm talking about Isaac, we can't constantly live in a world where we need to be protected"

Isaac nods behind her, and Irene is satisfied at that. Thea and Ariadne frown at the lack of response, Irene is clearly demonstrating against them by using a language they can't understand. Thea just hopes that their mistakes can be fixed, that it's not the undoable that they have done. Irene's anger seethes through her tone of voice and protective stance against them. She won't back down any time soon.

"Irene please, we can explain everything and we don't expect you to forgive us, to forgive me... but I can promise you that no harm will ever come to you or your brother ever again. I will swear my life on it. You don't have to be separated from your brother either, we will do anything you ask for. Everyone misses you and the emperor misses Isaac very much, they are destroyed back there. Please come back to us"