37; A final dream

"Through pain and though suffering, we all have to live on. But there comes a moment when one must decide exactly how much pain and suffering is worth to endure"

🌿

⚠️ death threats, mentions of death, violence⚠️

"There is no way out Thea, you've lost"

Did the goddess really send her this way, only to make her witness the death of those she loves? Was there something she was supposed to do in order to prevent all of this?

Irene watches the scene unfold with a rag over her mouth. She is not the only one watching instead of taking action. Thea stands completely still, frozen in fact, not fighting back one bit even though her arms are held and her life is being threatened. Ariadne fights back though, her eyes are wide with fear but she won't give up. She can't give up! She has to save them all! Surely there must be a way! A naive thought that eventually dies within her too, because they all realise how rushed this moment really was.

How rushed it was to suddenly start an argument with the queen.

How rushed it was to simply storm in here without any backup.

How rushed it was to leave Irene behind locked doors, thinking that she would simply stay that way while her only brothers life was being threatened.

And how rushed it was to become a puppet to Isabella from the beginning. How much easier it would've been to just say no from the beginning, leave her to struggle on her own and eventually fail. To scheme and plot the downfall of her majesty for years and not by only using a few hours and strong swords. If only it had been simpler, if only it hadn't ended this way. If Isaac hadn't been kidnapped, if Irene hadn't escaped, if they hadn't been so reckless to come here alone. Thea realizes it earlier than Ariadne, but eventually they both do. Their decisions have lead them down this path, and nothing can stop fate now.

Not them, as leaders,

And not Irene as herself.

the queen chuckles. It's not an evil laugh, because even if she is quite evil she isn't a maniac or a cartoon villain. Her satisfaction with the moment is not pure happiness, nor does she find it funny. Honestly she has never been more serious about something than she is now. Seeing her oldest rival and her rivals lovers all tied up and defeated, seeing her own position still in tact after being threatened. Isabella must say, she feels quite proud of herself. Proud and satisfied, but that's it. A simple chuckle is enough.

She turns to Irene. The girl that has changed the most since arriving at this island. Sure, it is still the same black hair and black eyes that she has, but her whole person feels so different. She looks healthier, she looks stronger. But also calmer, softer than before. No longer plagued by whatever burdens were over her head once she arrived, no longer held back by whatever doubts and fears that she had. She shines, even as tears run down her face and a cloth is held over her mouth. Irene shines like only one of her kind can. Whatever part Irene has in this coup, Isabella can't be sure. But there is something about the way she shines, the way she acts both carefully and recklessly, the way her eyes fill with tears but still don't look fearful. There is something about it that aggravates her to no end.