zero.

DAY ZERO

"We should break up, he said, no hard feelings, he said," you mumble, sweeping under yet another table. "We'll still get along great...! That lying son of a gun."

You dust off your hands, propping the broom in its corner and quickly vacuuming the collected dust and trash. Cracking your back, you groan and straighten up. Maybe now you could catch a break...

"Oh, you're done. I need you to mix three medium-sized bowls of batter for red velvet cake," the freckled boy instructs, catching you off guard. He doesn't look at you and turns away when you give him a tired look. "Hurry up, you have to whip some cream for Mina after."

With a roll of your eyes, you silently trudge past him, purposely bumping against his shoulder.

You loved baking, it was your favorite hobby, and lucky for you, your job too. Much to your dismay, your ex-boyfriend was also your boss, which wouldn't have been a problem had he not been on a power trip—you as his target.

You two had a great three years, the two of you sharing countless memories, the good ones outweighed the bad. Some would even say your relationship was too good to be true, two bakers who fell in love during school, worked together, and had a pleasantly smooth ride.

But during the last couple of months, the two of you had been drifting apart. There wasn't a particular reason you could pinpoint, besides simply being too busy for each other and too tired once there was time. Not to mention the rumors floating around the bakery, some about Felix and the recruit, others about you two breaking things off. It was all too stressful.

It was the first day off the two of you had in weeks, you cuddled up to his side as you drifted off slowly to the quiet humming of your TV in front of the couch in your shared apartment. You were filled with peace and comfort.

Until he said it, "[Y/N], I think we should break up."

It'd been shocking, and you couldn't count on your fingers and toes how many times you'd cried after coming to a (not so) mutual decision that it wasn't working out anymore. You'd wanted him to stay and hold you, say it was all a joke; instead, he began packing immediately, giving you a final kiss on your forehead before disappearing out your door.

Cursing yourself for having ever fallen for and crying over Felix, you growl at the memory. Since that day seven months ago, he'd denied your overtime pay, made you work double shifts, and given you the crappiest jobs in the bakery a chef could do. You couldn't even understand why, considering he'd been the one to break up with you.

Feeling dampness sprinkle your face, you realize you were mixing much too aggressively, moving to the last bowl of ingredients and trying your best not to glare at his honey brown hair. How could he treat you like this after loving you for so long? Unless it hadn't been love at all, and you'd been utterly blinded by your feelings—

You cut off your thoughts, huffing. Placing the stirred bowls on the counter for Felix, you shuffle to Mina. She was the recruit that had been involved with the early rumors surrounding Felix, his supposed "secret girlfriend" on the side. The rumors hadn't been true—you knew that much—but he still had you run errands for her, just to mess with you.

"How much do you want me to make?" You glare, gesturing to the whipping cream beside the pretty (pretty annoying) barista. If she had a nicer personality, she'd be a great catch.

She rolls her eyes. "Enough for me to make two dozen cups with freshly whipped cream... Like usual." She scoffs quietly at your growl. The worst part was that she didn't even like Felix, the two of them just enjoyed taunting you.