fourteen.

DAY FIVE

You had arrived at the bakery earlier than usual, taking the orders of the regulars. It had been a while since you'd worked an early shift–you weren't even completely sure you were allowed to, but you'd missed it.

Minho arrives a quarter of an hour after you, pleased to see you, you assume from how he grins at you. "Nice to see you here early. Unless you're working extra because of that polka-dotted ex of yours." You can tell he's still joking, so you laugh.

"Nope, I'm here of my own free will!" You grin, before thinking, "Actually, I don't think he's here yet."

Minho nods as if that explains the bakery's peace.

Not long after, Felix arrives, confused at the sight of you in your apron. You immediately freeze—forgetting about your mended relationship, your fight, or flight response activating because of the environment. It's almost as if you thought he'd just snap the moment he was in the bakery with you—but then again, that was the only way you'd seen him at the bakery for months now.

Felix notices your stiff behavior and drooping head, trying to make your hair cover your face as you continue working. So he does the most logical thing in his opinion—walking up to you to say hi.

"Hey [Y/N], good morning!" He smiles, hand on your head, gently petting your hair. He senses your uncertainty, and frowns, "I'm not mad, and you're not in trouble... I'm not like that anymore." Read: I'm not a jerk who tries to deny his love for you anymore.

Your shoulders relax a bit, and you girl your head up to meet his eyes, your nerves disappearing when he smiles genuinely at you. "Yeah... right," you chuckle, letting out a breath you didn't realize you were holding.

Usually, Felix would just head to his office, work on some paperwork or bake in the back, but today he decides to mix it up. Today, he decides to change into his apron, and join you at the front, placing out cupcakes and muffins in the displays. He stays beside you, helping you take orders and giving you those shy, blushing smiles you hadn't seen since before he asked you out.

Calm down, heart!

Of course, it doesn't listen to you, continuing to palpitate double-time every time Felix looks at you.

You two keep that positive attitude, up until there are less than ten minutes before you all have to leave for the park, and Jeongin's nowhere to be seen. Still, you know he'll be there on time, so you don't worry too much, at least not about that. Instead, you worry about after this competition. Would Felix go back to being a jerk once it was over? Would he hate you if you lost?

You're stressing, hanging around, waiting for Jeongin to hurry up and arrive. Of course, you're calmer than Felix, who's yelling into his phone, enraged. His freckles are almost red with how furious he is.

"You have five minutes, or I swear, I don't care how much our friendship means, I'm firing you!" He growls, and if it wasn't so threatening and downright terrifying, it would be so damn attractive. "Don't you dare disappoint me, Jeongin."

He roughly clicks off the phone, slamming it down onto the truck hood. He runs his hand through his soft locks, tugging at them in hopes to relieve some stress—to no avail. When his eyes droop closed, only then do you realize how the circles under his eyes are darker than usual, and the color in his cheeks isn't as golden as it usually is. Was he sick? Sleep-deprived?

You can't help it when you shuffle over to him, "Hey, he'll be here, don't worry," your soft, quiet voice trying to give him the reassurance you knew he needed.

He stares down at you in awe, and he hopes you can't hear his heart pummeling in his chest. His eyebrows relax, their harsh arch disappearing under your gaze, and his scowl fades, instead replaced with wide eyes and barely parted lips. You're so close to him, looking at him with those big, sparkly eyes of yours, and he thinks maybe Jeongin running late and getting pissed to the point his ears had turned red, might've been good luck in disguise.