nine.

Felix's arms brush over yours as he kneads another ball of batter beside you, his gaze directed on your pursed lips whilst his hands do the work. He'd been so close to your face—how could he possibly forget how damn gorgeous you were? Now, all he wanted was to kiss your lips like he once did, soft, gentle, sweet. "I'm sorry."

"What?" You raise your brow, turning to face him—maybe your vision darts down to his plush lips for a second before refocusing on his face. Was he apologizing for a moment ago? That would mean the odd tension wasn't just in your head, and he felt it too. Still, you didn't want to let your heart lead the way—it's what had made you date Sir Angel Dust in the first place—and would rather forget about the encounter. "Don't dwell on it, just keep kneading."

He sighs, his nerves building up slightly as he has to explain himself. Gosh, he felt eighteen again, nervous to ask you out and get rejected. "I meant for breaking up with you, then acting like your enemy. I told you we'd stay friends, and I never explained myself. I'm sorry for all of that."

Even if hearing the genuine apology from his deep voice made your stomach do flips, you weren't ready for this or the feelings that came with it. Right now, you need to focus. "Whatever, it's in the past now. C'mon, spoon it into this pan then put it to bake," you direct, voice wavering slightly with every syllable that leaves your throat.

He does as he's told—making sure to help you as well, so he can score points and speed up the process—and then he resumes his earlier speech. "Seriously, I've been horrible to you, and I'm sorry. Can we please talk about this?"

You clench your fist, breathing deeply as you move to step away from him, except you can't. He has a careful and firm grip on your wrist, almost as if he was holding a fragile glass he was afraid to drop, and he holds you in front of him, gaze boring into your own. "What's there to talk about, Felix? You've said it all."

He shakes his head. "No, I don't want us to be left like this, as enemies. I want to make it right, please don't walk away." You shouldn't still fall for the pleads in his voice, but it's always been your weakness. You sigh, nodding and leaning against the fold-out table beside him. He nods, thankful. "Thank you."

"Just say what you need to say, so I can go."

He frowns. "Did I really ruin everything to this extent?" You nod. "Then why are you still here—at the bakery, I mean?"

"Because I loved my job—which I'm not even sure I still have anymore. I know you've been nicer, more reasonable these past couple of days, but that doesn't change the fact that you hurt me, really badly." You feel the tears begin to well up. "You even started making me do stuff for Mina, knowing about the rumors and how they made me feel. It was as if you never loved me..."

Don't say that. His throat tightens at both your tears and your words, I've always loved you. "I'm sorry, [Y/N]."

Padding your face with your fingertips and fanning yourself, you shake your head. "Sorry doesn't fix everything that you did, Felix." You stand straight, breathing in and out deeply, "I can't do this right now with you."

Keep your head in the game, you tell yourself, ignoring the emotions stirring in the pit of your stomach. Felix didn't deserve your tears—and he definitely didn't deserve your time and thoughts. Screw being hung up on Lee Felix, and screw him.

"Alright, we know everyone was expecting this to be the finale," Chan starts off, looking less enthusiastic than usual, somewhere between tired, annoyed, and even amused. "But we've decided to mix it up a little. The two pairs that were picked today will be competing tomorrow in a series of challenges, and a winner will be declared overmorrow. Courtesy of the anonymous suggestions last year who thought our event was too predictable."

You freeze, unsure if you can bear being alone with Felix in a competition any longer. You didn't care if he was "different"—technically back to normal—he'd hurt you too much.

"This round along with the next two will add up to points, which will determine the final elimination!" Yeji booms, explaining the competition's new twist, "Whoever has the most out of three points wins this year's Bake-Offs! Now, without further ado, let's judge this round! These cakes look amazing!"

You and Felix present your cakes, plated to perfection, with every crumb, petal, and nuts placed with precision to make it as appealing as possible. You, to be quite honest, outdid yourself. Your cakes were absolutely ethereal with their white milky white glaze, glittered with crushed pistachios, rose petals, and candied ginger that let the cake be anything but boring. You almost wanted to keep one framed—especially the silver edible glitter, absolutely breathtaking.

Chan comes over first, taking a bite into his mouth to get the judging portion over with to talk to you, since Hole in One Doughnuts was still busy baking their mystery romance cake. "As always, I don't think I'll be able to live without your baking after this," he flirts, his words implying something a little more than platonic. "Maybe you can bake for me outside this competition sometime?"

Your cheeks pinken, and you reply with the same coquettish tone, "Maybe. If we get first place," you joke, laughing softly at his faux disapproving handshake.

"Speaking of your "we" situation, how are you doing?" he nods in Felix's direction, eyeing the baker as he talks with Minho about something on the other side freshly pruned hedge that separates you. "I'm sure it hasn't been the smoothest between you two."

You scrunch your brows, a weird and confused look. "Oddly enough, he's been really... pleasant these past two days. I think he's either realized he's been a jerk, or someone threatened him," you say that last part as a joke, and thankfully Chan shares your lighthearted humor.

"Or he's realized he should've never broken up with you," he shrugs, and you have the feeling that he's not joking—not for the most part. He waves his hands, "Just speculation, of course. Although, if I were him, that's what I'd feel like right now."

"You are such a flirt," you snort, pushing his chest—maybe you feel how toned his chest is, but that's not important. "Anyway, how long until the next round?"

He senses you want to change the subject, so he allows it, and answers you honestly, "About thirty minutes after this round. The same goes for the last round. Oh, and we won't be announcing winners today, but tomorrow after we sit with the other judges and come to an agreement."

You nod, feeling anxious. How long could you two actually last in this situation? What if Felix suddenly decides he hates you again and you rip each other's throats out? Why that's what you thought of, you didn't know, but it was unpleasant at the least.