seven.

About twenty minutes after your team finished, this year's newbies finally finish up, and a few more after that, the results are in. Chan stands with Yeji to announce them, both of them sending bright smiles your way, "Once again, Yellow Wood has won first place for their outstanding work! Three unique and dazzling cakes of the same type, congratulations on moving onto the finals!"

Yeji pipes in, "And in second, we'd like to congratulate this year's fresh-dough, Hole in One Doughnuts!"

The small crowd cheers, along with your teams, as Sweet Revenge bows, and thanks everyone for another great competition. Felix doesn't get as excited as the rest of you, still focused on your earlier words that were stinging him more than he'd like. You thought he didn't like you? How absurd—

There he was again, forgetting that all these new opinions you had of him were with very good reason. He hadn't been particularly nice or caring after breaking your heart, and now he was getting upset that someone was showing you some interest, how rude of him.

He remembers when he was sweet, always bringing you flowers, gifts, and reassurances of love, all the sweetness. Not only that, but he remembers the day all the sugar dissolved into the bitter coffee, and he was no longer staring at you with dark, deep admiration and love. He remembers taking your heart in his hand and crushing it between his fingers, watching your love ooze out like batter to an unfinished, half-raw cake.

And, like a bad chef, he never cleaned up the mess he made. He watched you come into work, heartbroken and tear-stained, every day and did nothing. No comfort, nor space.

Sniffing, you waddled into the bakery, catching the eyes of your coworkers and friends. Minho was the first to check on you, confused and slowly becoming more pissed as he realized those were breakup tears. "Did he do this?"

You'd waved him off, barely holding in your tears. "It's not his fault. It just wasn't working out for him anymore," biting your lips, they tried to console your tears.

Felix had walked in a few moments later, confused as to why everyone seemed to be crowded together—except him and Mina who'd happened to walk in at the same time. "What's going on?"

Then he'd caught a glimpse of your crying figure, feeling the guilt start to eat at him until Changbin spoke up. "How could you break [Y/N]'s heart? You jerk!" Angry with the brunet the moment he sees him.

Felix's face hardens, and suddenly he doesn't feel so bad. "I did what was best for me. We agreed on it, she's just making a scene," venom drips from his voice, and that was the first time anyone had witnessed the new, cold-hearted Felix.

He saw how you shrank at his words, pushing everyone away to run to the bathroom. When you came out, you didn't look at him. When he called you, you didn't make eye contact, but you tried to talk to him, and all he did was send you off to clean angrily. What had happened to him?

He sees you talking to Chan, and notices you haven't started cleaning yet. In other words, he sees an opening, a chance, to be nice to you again. Even if you two weren't together and madly in love like you once were, he at least wanted to be on good terms with you again.

He speedily begins putting away all the supplies, pretending to ignore your shocked expression, when in reality that was exactly what he was hoping for. If he wanted you to know he was genuine, he couldn't be openly looking for your validation. When he's done, he packs the boxes neatly into the truck and waits patiently for you to finish your conversation and enter, all the while wearing a small smile.

"Sorry for not picking up, I got distracted. It won't happen again though," you apologize robotically, allowing Felix to realize how practiced your apologies to him must be.

He waves it off, giving you an understanding look as he starts the ignition. "Don't worry about it. I'm sorry I've been making you take care of all that alone." he frowns to himself, guilty. "I'm going to drop you off at the café, okay? Don't worry about the evening shift today, just go home."

What's he up to? You wonder, subtly eyeing him with a nod, confused by his extremely understanding and—dare you say, nice—behavior today. Hadn't he hated your guts just yesterday?

Not enjoying the awkward silence, Felix turns up the radio, an all too familiar song filling the truck's low-quality speakers. It's your song, the one you two had first kissed to, back when you won your first Bake-Offs together.

He's about to switch the station when he hears you humming the melody, and a small smile takes over his freckled cheeks. He begins the chorus, voice low and smooth, the deepness reverberating through your ears down your spine in nostalgia and comfort. You try to contain the way your face flushes and contorts into a happy expression, but something about how he sounds just like he used tickles your heart. It feels like when times were simpler, your boyfriend and you singing your hearts out to your "song"—

Your smile slowly falls, and you stop your quiet singing, feeling tears well up.

Felix doesn't notice at first until he realizes his voice and the singer's are the only ones he hears. His chest stutters in the worst ways when he sees you, downcast and frowning at your lap, and he remembers that your current relationship is not okay. He switches the station, and mumbles out a quiet apology.