Hailey: Homecoming Game

The sounds of the yelling and the hollering were deafening. Everyone was dressed in red and yellow. The Texas nights had gotten colder in the last few days, so light jackets were a must for the homecoming game tonight. Bella and I had even brought gloves to wear.

Football games were a little different for the High School of Selected Vindicators. We didn't have as many players on the field because we were obviously smaller than the other schools. But we had more manpower than the other schools. We had the strongest students, students who could create more multiples of themselves, and students who were faster. Our students were able to rest up and get back on the field quicker thanks to Miss Rosalie, too.

"Are you guys warm enough? I brought some extra blankets," Ginger asked Bella and I from her spot on the bleachers behind us. We all sat together in our freshmen section of the bleachers. Our section was a little quieter than the rest. Kai, Lucia, Ben, and Loren were trying to teach the rest of us what was going on in the game. 

"Yes, please!" Bella's teeth chattered as she spoke. Ginger handed us each a blanket. "Thank you so much." Bella wrapped the blanket around her shoulders and settled into it. 

I chuckled to myself as I folded my hands into my blanket. Nick and Nolan walked up the stairs with arms full of snacks, coming from the concession stand. Nolan handed a salted pretzel to Bella.

"Hey, Nolan, is Danny coming?" I asked Danny's roommate.

"He had just gotten into the shower when I left. He said he was coming."

"I'll text him." The game was almost to half time. I didn't want him to miss all of his first homecoming game.

Are you coming? 

It took a little bit of time before he responded with, Can you meet me at the north gate? I'm almost there.

I showed the response to Bella. 

She shrugged. "Do you want me to go with you?"

I shook my head as I stood up from the bleacher. "I'll be right back," I announced to everyone.

The walk to the north gate got colder the further I got from the overhead lights. Danny was approaching the gate from the other side. He grinned at me. Even though we weren't under the lights, I could tell his skin had gotten paler. Maybe more transparent, even. "Are you okay?" 

He smiled weakly at me as he opened the gate to join me on the other side. "Yeah, I just wanted to talk to you away from everyone first."

My heartbeat picked up speed.

He took in a deep breath and asked, "Will you go to the homecoming dance with me?"

I sucked in a breath as my heartbeat maxed out. My cheeks flushed. "Y-yeah. I would love to."

He grinned proudly. His hand shook as he took mine. He still didn't look well. He was sweating, and his eyes looked tired. "Are you sure you're feeling okay?"

He nodded as we started walking back to the bleachers. "I think I was just nervous." He kissed my cheek with cold lips.

We climbed the stairs to our group, and Danny announced. "She said yes!"

Our group cheered and applauded. 

"Wait, you all knew?" I was dumbfounded. 

My first homecoming game was definitely one I would always remember.