Hailey: How to Save Someone

I was led through a different hallway. My hands were locked behind my back. I looked into one of the rooms we passed in front of. The room was filled with students. Some were holding onto each other for comfort. My eyes connected with Lucia's, and she gave me a confident smile.

We're going to be okay. I thought.

I was pushed into a room at the far end of the hallway. The room was empty, and the door was closed behind us. "All right, name please?"

"What are you going to do to my friends?"

"Name?" There were two guards with me, one waiting to write in his notepad and the other with his hand on his gun.

"What did you do to Danny?"

The one with his hand on his gun laughed. "What didn't we do to that kid? He'll be lucky if he comes out of his trance alive."

"Trance?"

"All your little friends will be tranced into doing what we want them to do. Like Danny and the other kids that stormed your little school."

My lips curled into a smile as the building was surrounded. "Little school?"

The guard holding the notepad looked at me. "What?"

"What is my little school known for?"

The guards looked at each other, then back at me. "For training young superheroes," the guard with the pistol pulled it out of his pocket and talked slowly.

I locked my eyes with theirs. "One of my classmates spits acid, another can control the weather, and my best friend is a cat. Worst part? We're all freshman who don't know how to control our powers yet."

The wall at the other end of the hallway was blown away, and the building was being filled with superheroes, cops, and students. 

"What the hell was that?" The guards said in unison.

I laughed. "You took too long to let us go. They're here."

The door behind the guards flew open, and they were pulled out by two ginormous arms. Jedi ran into my room, a lightsaber in his hand, and Bella sitting on his shoulder. "Hailey! Guys, she's in here!" Bella squealed as she jumped off of Jedi's shoulder. The rest of our class appeared in the doorway behind Jedi. They ran to me and wrapped me in a group hug. 

"Where's Danny? We thought he'd be with you." Ben questioned.

"He's on one of the higher levels I think. Jedi, sir, do you know where Miss Rosalie is? She needs to heal him before he wakes up. If she doesn't he'll die."

Jedi opened his mouth to speak, but before he could say anything, Miss Rosalie crashed through the ceiling. She looked to me smiled, then looked to Jedi. "Sorry I'm late. I had to beat down your ex-girlfriend real quick."

Jedi stepped back. "Ex?"

Miss Rosalie brushed herself off. "Yeah, I broke up with her for you. We'll talk about it later."

"Miss Rosalie! We need to find Danny!"

She nodded to me. "Jedi, get these students out of here. I'll go with Hailey."

Miss Rosalie ran with me out of the room, and Jedi ushered my classmates and other students out of the building. 

I could feel Danny slipping away, slowly. We had to be fast.

We ran into Danny's room, and he was laying on the floor, his eyes already open. 

"No," I croaked as I walked to him. I slumped on the floor next to him.

"Hey, Hailey," he smiled, not even aware he was about to die.

I sniffed back tears as I placed his head in my lap. "Hey," I smiled down at him.

"I didn't hurt you, did I?"

I shook my head. "No, I'm okay."

He smiled. "Good." His eyes fluttered shut, and his heart stopped.

"I'm sorry I was too late," I sobbed into his chest.

Miss Rosalie placed her hand on my back and knelt beside me. She quietly sobbed. She kissed his forehead, like a mother would to her child.

I don't know why I did, but I kissed his forehead, too, then gently pressed my lips to his. Our hearts jumped together, and my head popped up. His crystal blue eyes were staring back at me. "Why are you crying?"