Hailey: Homecoming Dance

"Well, what are you going to wear?" Bella and I had called Miss Rosalie on my phone Saturday morning, the morning of the dance, to tell her that Danny had asked me to go with him to the dance.

I didn't really think about that part. "Um...I think I have a sundress in my closet. Should I wear that?"

Bella scoffed. "This our first high school dance, and you want to wear a sundress?"

Miss Rosalie chuckled. "I agree with Bella. You can't wear a sundress. You don't have anything...fancier?"

I shook my head, forgetting Miss Rosalie couldn't see me. "No, I don't."

"Well, ladies, looks like we're going shopping! I have a friend that owns a boutique in town. I know she'll be able to make you something beautiful. I'll be there in forty-five minutes."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Wait a second. This is Kate Li's studio." Bella froze once we stepped out of Miss Rosalie's Mercedes-Benz.

"It sure is." Miss Rosalie locked her car as she joined us on the sidewalk.

"You know Kate Li? You said we were going to a boutique."

"She's an old family friend," Miss Rosalie shrugged. "And she owed me a favor."

"Who's Kate Li?"

Bella looked at me, shock on her face. "She is the superhero outfit designer! The greatest in the whole world! She designs all the greatest superhero's costumes."

"My whole family has all of our costumes from her." Miss Rosalie opened the door for us.

"My darlings! Oh, Rob, the teenagers are here!" a lady yelled as she swiftly made her way toward us. Her dark hair rounded around her jawline. She shuffled in her sandals.

Miss Rosalie and the lady kissed each other's cheeks. "Hi, Katie. This is Bella and Hailey. Girls, this is Kate Li."

Kate Li smiled at us with the whitest teeth I had ever seen. She was at least a foot shorter than Miss Rosalie, and she had the most beautiful ivory skin. "Sorry for my enthusiasm. We never get young ones in the studio." She kissed Bella and my cheeks, then hooked her arm around Miss Rosalie's. "Come, come. Have much to show you."

Kate Li led us to a back area. As we got closer, one side of the curtain lifted revealing the back room. In the center of the room were two dresses on mannequins. One was a cobalt blue color, and the other was a muted gold color. The blue was a vintage flare dress, while the gold one had a little flare at the bottom.

"Blue for Bella. Gold for Hailey." 

Bella clapped her hands to her cheeks. "I get one, too?" She squealed.

"Of course!" Kate Li sang. "Can't have people thinking you walked into my studio and didn't get anything. Bab publicity. But let me tell you about them. They are made from my newest fabric. It morphs to fit you perfectly! And it can change into what you need it to be. All you have to do is tell it. You need a fireproof super suit? It'll turn into that. You need to be invisible? It can do that, too. Need a homecoming dress?" Kate Li pointed to the dresses. "It becomes that! It can be whatever you need it to be and fit you perfectly. But the more it changes, the less effective it becomes. To the point it can't change anymore."

"Oh, my God." Miss Rosalie inspected the dresses. "It's like you put your brain into a fabric! Who else has this fabric?"

"They are the first. With all the training they will do through the years, it will be the perfect opportunity to test it. So they will be my guinea pigs," Kate Li grinned at us.