Danny: Christmas Party

"Merry Christmas!" Hailey and Bella yelled as I walked down the dorm steps into the main living room. Nolan stood next to Bella, sipping hot chocolate.

The whole school gathered together in the dorm living room. This Christmas party was our last get together before we all went home for two weeks. Teachers and staff handed out plates of food to students, while students helped themselves to hot chocolate. 

Hailey handed me a cup. The golden flecks in her eyes twinkled up at me as I smiled at her. I took a sip, expecting a warm chocolate taste, but was instead greeted with a sharp and off-putting taste. The smell was hot chocolate, but the taste definitely was not. Hailey must have noticed something was wrong, because she asked, "Are you okay?"

I nodded, knowing I wasn't fine. I had fainted in the shower, again. I didn't know where I was or who I was. It wasn't until I saw Hailey's face that I remembered. 

What does she hold over me?

"I think they're about to start playing white elephant," Nolan announced to our little group.

As we started walking toward the living room, my body felt as if it was shutting down. My eyelids fluttered. I reached out and grasped Hailey's forearm for support. She steadied me and watched me intently as I tried to remain in our reality. The lights swung and flickered as I regained my grip on where I was. I looked into Hailey's eyes, sweat beading on my forehead. "Maybe we should take you to see Miss Duncan."

Before I could nod, the world swayed away from my grasp. I was lost in the darkness, pulled away from everything that I loved.