Hailey: Dreams

The day after students were picked up from the dorms, it was announced that the students would be staying home until January, extending our holiday break. Bella had texted me first thing that morning concerned about where I would go. But, Principal Duncan gave me the options of staying with Miss Rosalie (which is what Principal Duncan prefered so they could keep an eye on me since I was a close friend of Danny's) or I could stay with Mr. Johnson and Ms. Young. 

"This is all you have, kiddo?" Mr. Johnson asked as he held the single large box on his shoulder. 

I chose to stay with our gym teacher and social presence teacher because they lived far enough out of town to where I felt that I could relax and not worry that I would also be kidnapped.

I nodded to Mr. Johnson. 

He shrugged as he led me out of the dorm room. "I'm sure Gemma, or Ms. Young, will have lots of stuff for you to have when we get home." He thought for a second before adding, "She would probably like it better if you called her Gemma while you were out of school. Like I would prefer you to call me Mark instead of Mr. Johnson."

Gemma was at their home, preparing their spare bedroom for me. "Yes, sir," I responded.

"And none of that sir or ma'am either. Unless you really like to." He shut the door behind me and led me down the stairs. "How are you feeling today?"

I shrugged. "Okay, I guess."

"You can be honest with me, you know." He opened the passenger door with me. I hopped in as he loaded my box into his back seat. He was quickly in the driver's seat, starting the truck. "So, how are you really feeling?"

"Still...on edge, I think," I sighed.

"It will probably be like that for a while. I think being out of the city will help you the most."

I nodded, hoping he was right. 

~~

My eyes blinked in the blinding lights. The white walls of the hallway brightened the lights lining the ceiling. It was quiet, except for the patting of my bare feet on the tiles. I peered into the first room on my right. My eyes landed on a figure slumped against the far wall of the room. The person's head lifted up, and I immediately recognized their eyes.

"Danny?" I whispered.

Danny's head cocked to the side, and he took a struggled breath. "Hailey?"

I tiptoed as quickly and as quietly as I could to him. Every part of him was either covered in sweat or blood. His hand reached out to me, but fazed right through me.

Danny stared up at me. "Are you a ghost?"

I clasped my hand on his shoulder and shook my head. "No. I must be sleepwalking, again."

He tried to touch my hand but fazed through it, again. "That's not sleepwalking," he murmured. 

"What is this place?" I looked around his brightly lit room.

"They do experiments on kids here." He coughed and tried to adjust himself against the wall. "This is where all the kidnapped kids go."

"You were kidnapped?"

Danny forced out a chuckle. "Nah, I was sold." His eyes closed as he leaned his head back. "My parents sold me a while back." 

Pairs of footsteps marched down the hall coming toward us. Danny's eyes shot open and stared back at me with fear. "You have to go."

My fingers intertwined with his. "I can't leave you. Come with me."

"Hailey, I can't. You have to find me." The footsteps got closer. "Go!"

I bolted upright in bed. Sweat poured down my face and neck. I was back in Ms. Gemma and Mr. Mark's spare bedroom. And Danny was left alone in that bright, cold room.