Bloodied Hands

[photo not mine, taken from Pinterest]

WARNINGS:
Mentions blood
Mentions murder/death

Bloodied Hands

I look down at my hands. They are covered in blood. They are shaking.

What did I do? My mind asks me.

WHAT DID I DO? My mind shouts it this time.

I look around me for answers, my head snapping wildly this way and that. My eyes land on something. Something dark. Something sticky. Pooling out from under a sheet.

I remember now.

I remember the screams as I pulled my little brother from his bed. I remember his eyes, wide open in fear. I remember what I felt...

A calmness.

A wave of peace washed over me.

I  had driven the knife into my little brother's chest. I had watched the light flicker and die in his eyes.

I look back at my hands. They are covered in my little brother's blood. They are shaking, not with shock or fear but with the adrenaline from what I just did.

The thing is though, my little brother's soul is not the first to leave this world because of me. Oh no. My mum is gone. My dad is gone. My friend is gone. My lover is gone.
They're all gone. Because of me.

But they are happy now.

My little brother's happiness is not the beginning nor the end of my story. In fact, it is somewhere in the middle.

I wipe my hands on my jeans and slowly walk over to the sheet. It is laying over the body on the wooden floor of his bedroom.

I kneel beside it, not realizing that my knees are in the pool of blood, and reach out to where the head is. I gently take hold of the soft cotton in my fingers and lift the sheet off my little brother.

I'm not looking though. I need to look. I have to.

I force my eyes to his face and get the same response as the first four people I helped: a numbness inside of me.

I open my mouth and I whisper, "you will be happy now, little brother. I helped you." I smile and lean back on my heels, tiling my face, taking in my work. "You will be happy now," I repeat.

You will be happy now.

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

Gosh... well, idk what to say... I hope you enjoyed that.

Follow for more and continue to check this as new short stories will come on here often.