Gun

[photo from Pinterest]

WARNINGS:
Mentions death

Gun

I stand behind the sheet that covers the door. I can see the shadows of the boss and my best friend. The latter is kneeling in front of our leader, trembling and pleading for the power-ridden man to spare him.

I take deep breaths and have to stop myself from crying out as I see the barrel of the gun swipe my friend across the face.

I slap a hand to my mouth and bite down. Let me feel the pain that he's going through. I taste blood on my tongue and my eyes widen as the gun goes level with his head.

There is a loud bang.

I can only watch as my friend falls to the floor in a heap. It is as if it happens in slow motion. First the bang then the slapping sound as a dead weight falls to the ground.

I know I can't say my goodbyes. I have to get away. He sacrificed his life for me and I can't let that go to waste.

I turn and run. But I am too slow. My boss is past the sheet and already on my heels.

He fires a shot at me, hitting my thigh. I stumble but keep moving. I have to get away...

I charge down the corridor, skidding around the corner. I can see the front door.

I use everything I have to get to it. I yank the handle down.

It's locked.

Panic rises within me as a shadow passes over the door.

I turn and see my boss, silhouetted by the dim lighting. I can see his hands outstretched, holding a gun.

This is it.

My friend spared his life for one more minute of mine.

No! Somewhere inside of me, I find hope.

My friend did not lose his life for me to live one more minute. He lost his life for me to live.

He lost his life because he knew that I would not waste mine.

I look to my left. The corridor continues into another room. I can make it.

I don't think about it. I just run.

Another shot is fired as shouts chase me, rebounding off the walls. I know another bullet has hit me, this time in my arm. But I feel no pain.

I reach the door within seconds and this one is open. I race inside and slam it shut, leaning against it and taking a breath.

Looking around me, I see everything I need. The boss made a mistake. The weapons room was left unlocked. I've never been in here, only heard about it from the others.

I must be crazy because I smile.

I feel the door shake. He is trying to open it. I feel beneath the door handle, pushing all my weight on the door, and feel for a catch. There isn't one.

I curse and fight against the monster on the other side of the wood, trying to think out a plan.

I see what I can use, but it means leaving the door to be opened.

I have no choice.

Another shot is fired, the bullet goes through a panel and misses my brain by a hair's width.

I take a chance and dive for the closest gun, seizing it in my hand. As I whip around, the door crashes open. I hold my gun up, hoping against hope that it is loaded.

There are two bangs, simultaneously.

My boss fired his gun.

I fired my gun.

At the same time...

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

That's fun! Sorry about the cliffhangers!

If you want more, keep checking this book because I'm constantly adding to it!