The Past Leaves Marks

[Pic from Pinterest]

WARNING:
Deals with self-harm
Sexual descriptions
Swearing

The Past Leaves Marks

I realized, at that moment before feverish hands took hold of one another, that I loved him.

Then I let him strip off all my clothes and just like that, I felt self-conscious, standing there with every part of me on show. I could feel his eyes burn into me, following the raised lines that travel over my skin like roads on a map. I suddenly felt ashamed and embarrassed and looked away from him.

Instead of backing away as I had expected him to, he gently put a finger on my chin and drew my face to his.

"It must be hard," he whispered, "to forget your past when it's written all over your body."

The emotions I was feeling moments before slipped away to an understanding between us, I nodded, tears filling my eyes.

"I," he said as he bent his head towards my shoulder where one of the biggest scars has found a home. His lips connected with my skin and he gently kissed it from one end to the other. "I love them," he mumbled against it.

I stepped back, not because I was scared but because of the heat that radiated from his lips. He looked at me with eyes to say 'sorry' as if he had done something wrong and intruded further than I may have wanted; which was not the case.

"H-how can you love them?" I said quietly. "They're hideous."

He shook his head and looked me directly in my eyes. "They belong to you, they are your beauty and only yours. They can never be stolen or disappear without a trace. They are you, they are what makes you, you. And they are beautiful."

His arms came up to my shoulders and he rested his hands gently on them. I felt that connection again, the same as when I realized I loved him and that same understanding vibrated between us.

I looked him in the eyes and breathed, "y-you really think that?"

He shook his head, "I don't think that, I know that."

A small smile played across my mouth. I moved my hands from my sides and laid them on his bare hips; a sign that I was ready for more.

"Let's take it slowly, babe," he muttered as his face moved towards mine.

I nodded again and closed the gap between our lips feeling my nose brush against his as our ready lips met once more. The world cascaded around us. The pain from my past forgotten. It was like I was born at that moment.