the ravens

After meeting Ash the other day, my mother insisted on having him and his family over for our Sunday brunch. She spent last night planning out the "perfect brunch" for the Ravens. She even planned it all the way down to what kind of cutlery we are going to use.

    "There. Perfect", my mother said fixing my pearl necklace from Tiffany's.

    As I look in the mirror, I look exactly what my mother wants me to look like. I'm pretty much a spitting image of her. From the black Chanel tweed jacket and matching skirt to the pearls having around my neck. My black hair brushed was out perfectly and a pearl headband sat on top of my head. I look like the little girl who used to have tea parties with my best friend who wore tiaras a tutus just to make me happy.

    I just know Ash is going to make fun of me when he sees me.

    I twisted my Cartier ring around my finger. "You don't think this is too much? It's only brunch."

    "We're having brunch with the Minister. If anything, this isn't enough."

    "Mum, this is who you used to dress me up when I was five."

    "You have to look your best for Asher's parents."

    I turned around to face my mother. "Why are you doing this? I already told you that Ash and I are just friends. If you're going to try to get our families to 'merge', I'm changing out of this and walking downstairs in nothing but my La Perlas."

    She crinkled her nose. "Don't be ridiculous. I wanted to have the Ravens over because I would like to get to know them. It's no secret that your father would like to make connections at the Ministry in America and I want you to be in a stable relationship. Is it so bad that we want this for you?"

    "Yes, because I'm an adult. I can handle my own relationships."

    "From how things have been lately, it doesn't look like you can."

    My mother's comment went straight to my chest and right through my hurt. She's not wrong, but damn, she didn't need to say it.

    "I'm sorry, Sweetheart", she sighed, bringing in a chunk of hair from the back over my shoulders. "That wasn't kind of me. It's not your fault. It was Draco's as well. That boy should've told you about the engagement and from what Narcissa has been telling me, he still loves you. To feel that way about you and parade some girl around, it's just cruel. If your father did that to me when we—"

    "Can we not talk about this anymore? It took me over two weeks to leave my room. Talking about it is going to make me not want to leave ever."

    She wrapped her arms around me and gave me a kiss on the cheek. "I love you, Stella."

    "Love you too, Mummy."

    I followed my mother downstairs and stood in the foyer with my father, waiting for the Ravens to arrive.

    Everything I know about Ash's family is pretty much through schoolwork and news articles. Ash never talks about his family and I never push for him to talk about them. It's weird that I know nothing about them because Ash and I have been friends for months now. He knew a little about my family and now he knows more because he's met them. Now that I think about it, I really don't know shit about Asher Raven.

    Ash knows everything about me. From my relationship troubles to every single inch of my body, he knows more than he should. I don't know if he's ever been in a serious relationship or if he's ever been in love. I don't even know his favorite color. For someone who is my friend, he does not share much with me.