Chapter Twenty-Seven

I resist the urge to roll my eyes. There is ALWAYS something up with Elena. It's like she's a magnet for danger and all things supernatural.

“Where the hell have you been for the past week?” Damon yells at me. “Do you know how much we had to go through without you?!”

I give him a bored look. “Well it looks like you survived. So clearly that means you lot aren’t as dependent as I thought.”

Damon glares at me.

“So what did I miss?” I glance around the room.

“Well to begin, we found the moonstone,” starts Stefan.

“I killed Mason,” Damon continues.

“We tried to kill Katherine,” Jeremy adds. “During a party at the Lockwoods last night, we had a plan that got kind of messy and then we captured Katherine.”

I give them all an impressed look. “You actually caught the bitch?”

“Yeah and she mentioned something about Elena being the doppelganger and that she needed to be protected,” says Damon.

I freeze at his words, my skin turning to ice. I glance at Damon.

“What else did she say?”

“She wouldn’t elaborate but before I shut the door on her, she mentioned your name and that you knew. Why do you think we’ve been trying to call you all week?”

I take my phone out of my pocket and show it to everyone.

“Oops, the battery is dead,” I say.

Damon shakes his head. “Whatever, you’re back now. We need your help to find Elena.”

I glare at him. “This is exactly why I left in the first place. You people are always demanding my help. You want my advice? Go to Bonnie and ask her to perform a simple tracking spell. It’s not that hard.”

Stefan steps in front of me. “Alayne, we need your help. We have no idea who we are up against.”

“Well I have no idea who took her,” I shrug.

“Why don’t you cast the tracking spell instead of asking Bonnie to do so every single time?” asks Caroline.

I shrug again. “Because I don’t want to?”

“Alayne!”

“Caroline!” I mock. “Oh don’t you dare give me that look. I’ve helped you all plenty of times!”

They all glare at me and I sigh. “Ugh, fine, fine, fine. You guys win. You always guilt trip me into helping you. Stefan, you owe me!”

“Wait, why me?” asks Stefan.

I give him a pointed look. “Because I’m doing this to help my friends and then there is you.”

“Oh don’t start arguing like children again,” Alaric speaks up.

Stefan and I both glare at him.

“Yeah, who do you think had to listen to Damon rant about the two children living under his roof?” he glares. “Damon dragged me out every night to rage about you two.”

“Guys!” Jeremy shouts. “Hello? Can we get back on track here? Elena is still missing!”

I sigh loudly. “Elena, Elena, Elena. Why is your sister always getting herself into trouble, Jeremy? That girl is a magnet for the supernatural dangers.”

“Alright, so what is the plan?” asks Damon.

“Plan?” I blink.

“Yeah,” Damon says slowly. “A plan. What should we do?”