Chapter Seven

I'm hiding out in a tree. Yeah, I notice that I have been doing that a lot lately. Hiding out in trees that is. It wasn't because I was particularly fond of trees; I was keeping an eye out for Vicki Donovan. It had been a couple of days since we had seen her and everyone was getting worried. Even Damon was worried that Vicki would expose our world.

I saw Tyler Lockwood walk out of a building alone and immediately, my senses pick out something else nearby too. I take out my cell phone and dial Stefan's number.

"She's here."

I quickly put away my phone and I change my stance in the tree into a more alert position. Tyler reaches his car and suddenly, Vicki is in front of him, gasping and looking dreadful.

"Tyler," she gasps.

"Vicki?!" exclaims Tyler. "Where have you been?! Everyone's looking for you!"

"I know."

"What's wrong?" I can hear the concern in Tyler's voice.

From my position, I can see that Vicki has her head down when she speaks.

"I'm so cold."

Tyler starts asking some more serious questions that could lead to the exposure of my species. "What happened in those woods Vicki?"

Vicki turns to Tyler and starts weeping. "I'm so scared Ty."

Tyler pulls Vicki closer and hugs her tight. I can feel the hunger coming from Vicki's body and her desire to feed. She can't control it.

"I am so hungry, Ty," she pants. "And the hunger won't go away."

"What are you on? What drugs did you take?"

Vicki doesn't answer him. Instead, she bares her teeth like an animal and I see that her fangs have extended. Her eyes have turned bright red, they are livid and the veins are prominent. She grabs Tyler's head and is prepared to sink her teeth in his neck but suddenly, she is ripped off him. I see that Stefan has arrived and he has a tight hold on Vicki, a dark expression on his face.

Tyler scrambles backwards right into Damon, who has a smirk on his face. Tyler turns to Stefan.

"Stefan, what's wrong with her?" he asks.

Damon rolls his eyes. "You. Don't talk."

"Screw you dude."

Damon raises his eyebrows. "Dude? Seriously? Dude?"

"Damon, don't," Stefan says warningly.

"Oh come on! Who's going to miss this kid?"

Tyler does something totally unwise and he punches Damon in the face. His head jerks to the side and when he turns back to Tyler, there is a deadly expression in his eyes.

"Damon, stop," I say as I hop off the tree that I was observing from. "Don't hurt him."

He didn't listen to me as he grabbed Tyler by the throat anyways, strangling him. However, I am pleasantly surprised when Damon doesn't snap his neck. Instead, he compels Tyler.

"Forget what you saw here tonight. None of us were here."

Then, because he's Damon, he throws Tyler across the parking lot. I manage to get there and catch him just before he smashes into the ground. Tyler groans in confusion but before he can even register what has happened, we are gone.

I glare at Damon. "That was uncalled for."

"The dickhead called me a 'dude'." Damon shudders at the word. "Seriously."