Chapter Six

I stand back behind the door and I can hear Stefan and Elena’s entire conversation.

“What are you?” Elena repeats.

“You know,” Stefan states simply.

“No. I don’t,” Elena gasps.

“Yes you do. Otherwise, you wouldn’t be here,” continues Stefan.

“It’s not possible, it can’t be,” Elena says taking a step back.

Stefan steps forward towards her. “Everything you know and every belief you have is about to change. Are you ready for that?”

I roll my eyes. Stefan was such a drama queen.

“What. Are. You.” I hear Elena repeat again.

Stefan doesn’t answer her for a very long time and right when he opens his mouth to speak, I pop out from behind the door. I smile at Elena before speaking.

“He’s a vampire,” I state clearly.

Elena jumped, not knowing that I was there. She looks absolutely terrified. “I-I shouldn’t have come,” she stammers before turning to run.

Stefan sends me a glare before he tries to stop Elena.

“Elena! Please, let me explain,” Stefan pleas but she won’t hear any of it.

“Let me go!” she struggles and runs for her car.

Meanwhile, I stand in the doorway to the boarding house, leaning casually against the wall. I can see the heartbreaking expression on Stefan’s face as he turns around and looks helplessly at me.

“Go chase her!” I yell.

Stefan still has a helpless look on his face. “Come with me,” he begs.

I roll my eyes and motion for him to follow me. Five minutes later, I am at the Gilbert house. Stefan shows up a minute later. He looks at me, impressed.

“You’re fast,” he comments. “And you don’t leave a scent.”

I roll my eyes dramatically. “I know how to cover up.”

Stefan points at the second floor and a window is open. We both make a quick jump and land in Elena’s room. I can hear Elena fumbling around in the bathroom and she walks out into her room, completely stressed. I lean casually against her dresser but she doesn’t notice me. In fact, she doesn’t see either of us until Stefan says her name.

“Elena.”

She whips around with fear in her eyes as she tries to dart towards the door. However, Stefan is there to stop her.

“Please listen to me,” Stefan begs.

“Did you kill all those people?” whimpers Elena.

“No, no,” Stefan spits out. “That wasn’t me, it was Damon. I don’t drink human blood. I will tell you everything but I need you to trust me and not tell anyone.”

Elena still hasn’t noticed me. She has tears in her eyes and is too focused on what Stefan is saying to her. I decide to give them privacy so I head out of her room into the hall and immediately bump into Jeremy who has a slightly annoyed expression on his face.

“Whoa, what are you doing here?” Jeremy looks a little surprised.

“Stefan came to talk to Elena so I just tagged along,” I shrug. “Why do you look pissed?”

Jeremy stares at me for a second before answering. “It’s Vicki. All she wants to do is party and bullshit. She’s always feeling like crap about herself and she won’t do anything to stop it. I don’t know how I can help her!”