Chapter Thirty-Seven

My mother really has gone all out on this ball. There are little lights twisted into the railing of the main staircase and the air is filled with a magical feeling only my mother could produce. I guess that would be the perks of being the Original Witch.

“Fancy,” mutters Sebastian.

“We’re the Original family, of course we have to do it up,” I murmur back.

“Alayne,” Mother greets me at the top of the stairs. She sends a cold look towards Sebastian.

“Mother,” I say, a little wary. “It’s good to finally see you rather than just hear your voice.”

She smiles. “So you did know it was me? I wasn’t sure.”

“I knew,” I assure her.

“You should get downstairs, some of the guests have already arrived,” she tells me. She gives Sebastian another cold glare. “And as soon as this ball is over, he needs to leave.”

“What, why?” I am appalled. My mother was normally never this rude.

“He’s no good for you, Alayne,” she says in a stern, motherly tone. “I’ve been watching from the other side for a thousand years. I know what’s been going on and the pain he has put you through. Trust me on this, dear daughter, he has hurt you more than you can understand.”

“Excuse me, but with all due respect ma’am-” starts Sebastian but he is cut off when my mother holds up her hand.

“Do not dare address me. You know what you did and if my daughter knew, she would personally kill you herself.” And with that, she walks down the hall into her bedroom.

I stare at Sebastian. “Any idea what she’s talking about?”

He hangs his head and doesn’t meet my eyes. “No.”

I knew Sebastian was hiding something but I decide to let it go for now. I give him a quick reassuring peck on the cheek and place my hand into his, leading him down the stairs. He seems to relax a little until we are facing Klaus.

“Hello Alayne, you look beautiful,” compliments my brother.

“Klaus, as dashing as always,” I smile back.

Klaus’ eyes turn to Sebastian. “You know you’re not welcome here right? My mother wants you to leave the minute this party is over. The Verones are poisonous and although your family is as old as ours, you are not Originals and you can still be killed.”

I roll my eyes. “Give him a break, Klaus.”

Klaus smirks. “If you knew what he did, you would hate him too. He’s put you through way too much Alayne, but you’re just too blind to see it.”

Klaus leaves after that and I try to ignore his comments but they were the exact same thing my mother said. I turn to Sebastian.

“What does he mean?” I inquire.

Sebastian’s eyes flit around nervously.

“Sebastian.”

He sighs. “Can we not do this now? I don’t want to ruin the night for you.”

“I need to know. My mother warns me about you and then Klaus does. What did you do that could be so horrible?”

He bites his lip, a habit that I know he only does when he is nervous. I immediately drag him into the vacant study room and shut all the doors, but I notice Kol and Rebekah both lingering around.

“Tell me,” I turn to Sebastian.

“No,” he says stubbornly.

“Sebastian, how bad could it be?”